Weber EG-1 v2 Grind Settings (SSP Ultra DB-2)

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
burninator

#1: Post by burninator »

I know there are a few older eg-1 threads, like
eg-1-grinder-settings
eg-1-user-experiences
eg-1-new-version

...but they all seem to be more relevant for the Base and Core Burrs. I'm wondering what settings people are using for their SSP Ultra DB-2 burrs, specifically with brew methods in mind. I'm assuming it's not the same settings as you would use with the other burr sets, so thought it was worth a new thread. WW now has their own forum, but it has all of 169 posts (as of today) that aren't very helpful. Gagne had a post in there with his settings, which seems to conflict with the settings he discusses on his blog.

In any case, for anyone willing to chime in, I figure we need a reference point to start with. To be honest, I don't know whether it's better to use the chirp-point or burr lock-up, but the marked "0" is fairly meaningless when each grinder supposedly differs on their true zero point. Beyond that, I think + for coarser direction and - for finer would be great.

Gagne posted the following (summarized):
- burrs lock-up at 2.9 when burrs are clean (originally said 4, but then corrected)
- chirp at 8.3
- "10.0" would be the marked 0.0 (or 1.7 steps in the coarser direction of chirp point)
- 5.3-5.7: blooming shots (most often 5.5)
- 6.0-6.2: Rao allongés
- 8.5: Aeropress with prismo
- 10.0: Tricolate and NextLevel
- 10.0: Regular Aeropress
- 13.0: starting point for V60, w/ the disclaimer that he hasn't dialed in V60 in some time and his zero point has changed since.

His blog states "7.0 at 700rpm", but I'm not really sure what "7.0" means there. I've messaged him and hope he responds. In the meantime, any other input would be great!

Jeff001

#2: Post by Jeff001 »

Do you happen to have the link where he said 13 for v60? I remember him saying 7.0 for v60. Matching the distance from his chirp point to 7, for me lands me around 5. Where one full rotation coarser is very coarse (I'm not home at the moment I don't remember my chirp point so for now this might be semi-useful as a point of reference).

Additionally, be aware that his measurements were after seasoning I believe, which he concluded did have a marked effect on grind size.

Just a side note, for anyone not familiar with Gagne's work, please check it out, his research and experiments with coffee are really informative and he's adding a much needed scientific approach to much of what we have just accepted or believed without data behind it.

Advertisement
burninator (original poster)

#3: Post by burninator (original poster) »

Jeff001 wrote:Do you happen to have the link where he said 13 for v60? I remember him saying 7.0 for v60. Matching the distance from his chirp point to 7, for me lands me around 5. Where one full rotation coarser is very coarse (I'm not home at the moment I don't remember my chirp point so for now this might be semi-useful as a point of reference).

Additionally, be aware that his measurements were after seasoning I believe, which he concluded did have a marked effect on grind size.
Understood. I don't know if seasoning would shift settings more than 50 microns, but we'll find out!

Gagne specified 13 for v60 in the newly formed WW forums; it's not on his blog.

elmstreetrichard

#4: Post by elmstreetrichard »

I noticed that you mentioned the Nextlevel brewer in your original post burninator so I was wondering if you happened to have the device and have experience with it. If so, how does it differ from the Tricolate and which one do you prefer?

Psychoav

#5: Post by Psychoav »

The numbers on the dial does not represent an absolute grind setting for EG-1, and it might change if you have done alignment after out of the box settings. So it might not be applicable from other user's setting experience. I have two EG-1 with different burr sets (Core and Ultra), both numerical settings are different for equal brewing method (e.g. hand pouring). You need to try then you will know what grinding range will suits your brewing method.

#6: Post by burninator (original poster) »

elmstreetrichard wrote:I noticed that you mentioned the Nextlevel brewer in your original post burninator so I was wondering if you happened to have the device and have experience with it. If so, how does it differ from the Tricolate and which one do you prefer?
that's actually from a gagne post, not my own. i dont have any experience with either, but from my reading. it seems the tricolate would be the choice of the two

elmstreetrichard

#7: Post by elmstreetrichard »

Ah I see, thank you! Do you have the link to the post where he mentions the Nextlevel Brewer? I only see the post where he mentions the Tricolate.

Advertisement
erik82

#8: Post by erik82 »

Burr lock at 4, espresso between 5 and 6.
V60 normally around 1-2 (15/250 or 18/300 brews total time around 2:30min) but can be down to 9 for some beans.
Aeropress around 9-0.

So 6 numbers from espresso should be in V60 range. My SSP burrs have ground over 70kg so fully seasoned.

Chirping sounds isn't a very good indication as you're dealing with play in the threads and maybe a stray coffee particle so that sound can be all over the place in grind setting.

#9: Post by burninator (original poster) »

Psychoav wrote:The numbers on the dial does not represent an absolute grind setting for EG-1, and it might change if you have done alignment after out of the box settings. So it might not be applicable from other user's setting experience. I have two EG-1 with different burr sets (Core and Ultra), both numerical settings are different for equal brewing method (e.g. hand pouring). You need to try then you will know what grinding range will suits your brewing method.
thanks for the response. It's apparent that things will drift as the burrs are seasoned, but I was thinking we could at least come up with a starting baseline from burr lock. I don't know if burr lock drifts with seasoning, but it sounds like it does and I thought all other settings would follow somewhat predictably? I may be way off.
elmstreetrichard wrote:Ah I see, thank you! Do you have the link to the post where he mentions the Nextlevel Brewer? I only see the post where he mentions the Tricolate.
It was in the WW EG-1 forum, you've got to register and then you'll see his posts. it's a new forum, so there's a total of 169 posts for EG-1 in their entirety!
erik82 wrote:Burr lock at 4, espresso between 5 and 6.
V60 normally around 1-2 (15/250 or 18/300 brews total time around 2:30min) but can be down to 9 for some beans.
Aeropress around 9-0.

So 6 numbers from espresso should be in V60 range. My SSP burrs have ground over 70kg so fully seasoned.

Chirping sounds isn't a very good indication as you're dealing with play in the threads and maybe a stray coffee particle so that sound can be all over the place in grind setting.
thanks for the input! for burr lock, are you just manually turning it until the bottom burr starts to turn with the upper burr or are you finding it some other way?

erik82

#10: Post by erik82 »

Turning with the front cover off and first clean everything. Then go finer till both burrs are completely locked. That's full lock.