Weber EG-1 v2 Grind Settings (SSP Ultra DB-2) - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
realbrotherjay

#21: Post by realbrotherjay »

The Ultras are tricky but definitely usable for espresso. Seasoning helps a lot with both feeding and results in cup IMO, and higher RPM is a must. I use 700 for filter, and even for espresso when I use the Core burrs, but usually go up to 1500 for espresso with the Ultras.

Laddu

#22: Post by Laddu »

OK, after some more testing, I can avoid the locking by pouring the beans slowly. But I am 3 points away from full lock and still grinding too course (a high density bean). In fairness, I am afraid to go finer, I dont want to damage the burrs.

Any advice?

arekieh

#23: Post by arekieh »

Just got my EG-1, swapped the Ultra burrs on immediately and getting the following:
- Full lock = 3
- Espresso = 6.5 - 7.0
- Aeropress = 9-11 (still experimenting, but i prefer the higher range, might try some at 12 to 13)
For light roasts I am grinding at 5.5 (full lock is about 2.8 now after seasoning with a few kg).
I have had the grinder lock on me two times, but i am grinding light roast at 700rpm. Slightly increasing the grind +5 notches and pulsing the motor, then going back down to my set point fixed it each time.

Still playing around a lot with the ultra burrs, and unsure about how i like them for espresso.

The back to back results with filter coffee are huge though and im very happy with them

burninator (original poster)

#24: Post by burninator (original poster) »

Just got hit with CA Use Tax nearly a year after taking deliver. I had confused the import duties with use tax, so thought my financial obligations were done. YIKES!

Zaneemomo
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by Zaneemomo »

My grind settings are in the same ballpark as others have posted on here. Below about 700 rpm I have to pour the beans slowly to avoid burr lock, been satisfied with results at 850 rpm. I also dialed back the pressure on my espresso machine a couple bars.

erik82

#26: Post by erik82 »

That's weird. I can go down to 300rpm for espresso or pourover with nordic roasts and just dump the beans in at once with a running motor. I've never had my EG-1 V1 stall in 3,5 years of use and running 80KG of light roasted coffe through it.

nicholasnumbers

#27: Post by nicholasnumbers replying to erik82 »

I'm not sure how much the electronics changed between V1 and V2, but it could be because you are in EU running 220V vs. those of us in the US running at 110V.

Nick

Steveholt

#28: Post by Steveholt »

Just a small contribution to this grinder stalling thing.

Running at 230V I have locked up grinder using the core burrs at espresso grind a handful of times. A gentle pour is how I live my way around this.
I have not locked the Ultra Burrs at espresso grind however. This is 10 months and 10+ KG into each burrset.