Weber EG-1: Is this burr chirp?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
vincentc

#1: Post by vincentc »

I just got my EG-1 and swapped out the core burrs with the SSP ultra burrs. I watched the video from Weber and was still having trouble finding the "zero" point. I try to turn until it stops spinning but this causes the grinder adjustment to be stuck. So then I loosened it a bit (1-2 full steps) before tightening the bolts. I tried making espresso but it does not seem to go fine enough and this is basically where I stopped turning because I wasn't sure if the sound in the video was burr chirping. When I try to grind near the "chirp" the grinder stalls.
Any advice on how to align the SSP burrs properly? Thanks!

AndroidBoy

#2: Post by AndroidBoy »

Would like to know too

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by LBIespresso »

Could it be a small bit of a partially ground bean? Try opening it up and cleaning it out and see if it happens at the same point.
LMWDP #580

BruceWayne
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by BruceWayne »

I just got an older EG-1 and have been "suffering" through similar experiences. You might want to look at this thread Difficulty swapping burrs on Weber EG-1 and also the experience threads you can find by searching the grinder forums.

I interpret the sound you hear as burr chirp. As far as I can tell, there are a few key positions to consider when aligning and replacing burrs. Full lock, where the adjustment ring no longer moves. Contact, where moving the adjustment ring causes the lower burr to move with it. Free spinning, where no movement of the lower burr happens when moving the adjustment ring.

As far as I can tell from watching the videos and discussion, you replace the burrs and tighten up fully locked. Move the adjustment ring looser until it moves freely. Retighten the adjustment ring to contact. Then very, very slightly loosen the lower plate until you can move it and adjust the burr alignment manually by feeling that the burrs are concentric. Retighten while keeping the burrs concentric. That last part is killing me at the moment. I can feel a slight lack of alignment, but don't know what to do about it.

Edit: Linked the wrong thread

vincentc (original poster)

#5: Post by vincentc (original poster) »

LBIespresso wrote:Could it be a small bit of a partially ground bean? Try opening it up and cleaning it out and see if it happens at the same point.
Hmm don't think so. I've actually took it out and realigned it a few times but I've brushed it everytime.

vincentc (original poster)

#6: Post by vincentc (original poster) »

BruceWayne wrote:I just got an older EG-1 and have been "suffering" through similar experiences. You might want to look at this thread Difficulty swapping burrs on Weber EG-1 and also the experience threads you can find by searching the grinder forums.

I interpret the sound you hear as burr chirp. As far as I can tell, there are a few key positions to consider when aligning and replacing burrs. Full lock, where the adjustment ring no longer moves. Contact, where moving the adjustment ring causes the lower burr to move with it. Free spinning, where no movement of the lower burr happens when moving the adjustment ring.

As far as I can tell from watching the videos and discussion, you replace the burrs and tighten up fully locked. Move the adjustment ring looser until it moves freely. Retighten the adjustment ring to contact. Then very, very slightly loosen the lower plate until you can move it and adjust the burr alignment manually by feeling that the burrs are concentric. Retighten while keeping the burrs concentric. That last part is killing me at the moment. I can feel a slight lack of alignment, but don't know what to do about it.

Edit: Linked the wrong thread
This is sort of the same steps I followed. It feels like to get it right, you need 2 people. I messaged customer support asking for some advice so hopefully they get back to me.

Rytopa

#7: Post by Rytopa »

It's normal to grind at burr chirp for the eg-1 with brew burrs for espresso .its part of their "design", there is a slack of around 200um whereby you can move further in after burr rub.

Very bad design if you ask me, however the manufacturer claims it's normal.

https://coffeeadastra.com/2021/04/14/pu ... sso-shots/ it's mentioned here , he have to grind at burr rub and beyond to get espresso shots to pull properly.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
BruceWayne
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by BruceWayne »

I managed to get to into an espresso range before burr rub, but it's only a few ticks away.

I'm also currently using the original DB-3 bimodal burrs. I don't really think the Ultra burrs work well for espresso.

BruceWayne
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by BruceWayne »

vincentc wrote:This is sort of the same steps I followed. It feels like to get it right, you need 2 people. I messaged customer support asking for some advice so hopefully they get back to me.
I think that's where the only very, very slight loosening from fully screwed in comes into play. I initially loosened too much and stuff kept moving when I tightened. Then I got help, but it's hard to coordinate and frustrating to feel movement when someone else is tightening the screws for you. Finally, I read the thread I linked more closely. If you just loosen enough to be able to nudge the lower plate, you can sort of tighten and grip the burrs at the same time without much movement. It's really frustrating.

BruceWayne
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by BruceWayne »

Rytopa wrote:It's normal to grind at burr chirp for the eg-1 with brew burrs for espresso .its part of their "design", there is a slack of around 200um whereby you can move further in after burr rub.

Very bad design if you ask me, however the manufacturer claims it's normal.

https://coffeeadastra.com/2021/04/14/pu ... sso-shots/ it's mentioned here , he have to grind at burr rub and beyond to get espresso shots to pull properly.
That page was really useful. I'm going to modify my setup even more based on it. I already had my big ring really close to the grinder, but using it as an additional knocker will really come in handy.