Weber and Acaia (Orbit)

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ypuh

#1: Post by Ypuh »

Appears they'll be announcing something new today. Presumably an EG-1 with grind by weight features?

More interestingly; new stock.
I don't want a Decent

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by JB90068 »

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

nyzt_98

#3: Post by nyzt_98 »

64mm flat burrs in collaboration with weber. https://acaia.co/blogs/company-news/new ... -workshops

Auctor
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Auctor »

Thanks for the link. Feels kinda "me too"ish, with nothing innovative announced. Not sure I understand the synergies or why this is somehow superior to what's already out there. Hopefully I missed something.

NicoNYC

#5: Post by NicoNYC »

Looks like a lovely grinder, but with Acaia's experience in grind-by-weight and weighing bean-counter I would have hoped for a grinder that incorporated those technologies. Maybe they have contracts in place w/ Baratza which prevent them from competing with the 270W?

Honestly, a good grind-by-weight grinder would make me consider switching from single-dosing, and a bean-counter/grinder combo could be almost the best of both worlds.
LMWDP #718

jasiano

#6: Post by jasiano »

I saw the insta posts and thought "oooh... an EG-1 grind by weight"... then read the blog post and it seems like a EG-1 lookalike but 64mm burrs and no weighing... so also a bit 'meh' at this stage in terms of feature set/why it's being made.

It does look awesome though, and no doubt grind quality will still be very good.
-Jason

Down Under

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by JB90068 »

So to compare what we know from this to the EG-1, it sounds like it has downsized burrs, footprint, motor, and max rpm. One significant thing that goes counter to the other WW grinders is that this is stepless. I would also be willing to guess that it will come with a lower price tag than the EG-1. It should also be interesting to see if the burrs are as easy to align as they are with the EG-1 and if they are magnetic. Have to wait for the presentation in a few hours, but this will fill a space that is needed in Webers lineup and geared (hopefully cost wise) more to the prosumer. As a Weber and Acaia fan, I applaud them.

I doubt this will make me regret having my EG-1, but I might want to replace my Mignon XL with this.

FWIW - a recent order of mine from WW, was shipped by Acaia.

nyzt_98

#8: Post by nyzt_98 »

IMO - high end 64mm market could use some competition to bring prices a bit down may be?

On the lower end of 64mm - fellow ode, df64 - both have their limitations

then a huge gap and jump to $1.7K for P64

Ypuh (original poster)

#9: Post by Ypuh (original poster) »

I doubt Weber and Acaia are going to fill the gap between the DF64/Niche and P64. It's easier to assume they are aiming to fill the gap between the P64 and EG-1/Monolith Flat etc.

On the other hand, it's good to see more grinders in that space. Now the next step up after a Niche is only the P64. Then it's quite for another 2k before the end game grinders start.
I don't want a Decent

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by JB90068 »

Ypuh wrote:I doubt Weber and Acaia are going to fill the gap between the DF64/Niche and P64. It's easier to assume they are aiming to fill the gap between the P64 and EG-1/Monolith Flat etc.
I completely agree with you. I can't imagine WW making and selling a grinder that would be sub $1k since they would have to make serious compromises in materials and craftsmanship to produce. Weber and Acaia are all about quality, design, function and workmanship (with the exception of the Lunar app). If they keep it in the 2k range, it's still costs a lot, but as you mention, much more affordable than around $4k for the EG-1. The other thing is that Weber is much more bespoke and doesn't mass produce anything from what I can tell. I think of them as being similar to a very high end sports car manufacture than say Toyota.