Weber and Acaia (Orbit) - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
rwang

#81: Post by rwang »

I'm in the market for a single dose flat burr though not in a hurry and am most intrigued by the orbit and zerno. I like the design of those 2 the best. There's no arguing a modded DF64 is the best bang for your buck if you're ok with the look.

Though we don't know when zerno's grinder is coming out, it sounds like they're working with SSP to build their own burrs and if the starting price is actually $1000, could be a great option.

BaristaBob

#82: Post by BaristaBob »

Hey out there...has anyone pre-ordered and received the new Acaia Orbit grinder? I received a mid August email from Acaia about September production but have not seen a follow-up. I think it might be a super product, but not sure I want a first generation model.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Advertisement
Jeff
Team HB

#83: Post by Jeff »

Preorders Orders start in September. There will be at least a week's notice, from what I understand. The orders have not opened up at all yet.

Corrected to "orders" as noted in the post just below.

Flannelsec

#84: Post by Flannelsec »

Not sure why my last message was removed, but was there not an Onyx version that was a pre-order? Or is it that all models will be up for order this month, yet?

Jeff
Team HB

#85: Post by Jeff »

No Orbit has been presold, sold, or shipped to the general public that I am aware of.

https://acaia.co/products/orbit

Nothing about the the process has changed since post #82 that I am aware of.

Flannelsec

#86: Post by Flannelsec »

Cool. Thank you. I wonder just how quick it's going to sell out. I feel like it's going to be a bloodbath.

BaristaBob

#87: Post by BaristaBob »

Just received an email from Acaia that production/sale has been pushed to October due to a part being out of manufacturing specifications. They are reworked this part to produce the highest quality product for the consumer. I'm good with this, shows Acaia will not rush into production but offer the product when they are ready. A bit disappointing but in a good way.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Advertisement
DownTheRabbitHole

#88: Post by DownTheRabbitHole »

Newest update has this opening for orders on 10/27 and a demo video on 10/20. Wish there was a bit more information on the compatibility with existing SSP burrs, the bit about making a special SSP for the Orbit later on makes me less interested just because of some of the issues p64 and ode users have had with different SSP burrs

malling

#89: Post by malling replying to DownTheRabbitHole »

The demo used SSP, so unless they go magnetic or other design I think I should be able to. The thing with the ode and most others is that the tolerance isn't as precisely so people might get a grinder that simply doesn't fit them. However with Hansung customer service I would not be to worried he did make the cast v2 slight smaller to fit ode.

The other issue was more in regards to the depth of the well in the chamber versus the height of the burrs outer rim, but this is going to be an issue on lots of grinders as these generally are designed with the stock burrs in mind not third part. There really is no solution to this unless a grinder is designed with ssp burrs and very few are.

DownTheRabbitHole

#90: Post by DownTheRabbitHole »

Thanks for the info, I did go back in the thread and saw mention of using SSPs in the original demo that I missed. Decided to keep my previous reply up in case someone else has a similar thought.

I don't think I'll get the first batch, but if reviews look good I'll probably take the jump, been interested in a GbW for a minute