Weber and Acaia (Orbit) - Page 24

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
p4lxrich

#231: Post by p4lxrich »

just noticed lagom p64 is in stock silver/black with unimodal at prima. i see you're in cali like me. is unimodal same as mp? i guess today is a great day. wanted the p64 more actually.

SteveRhinehart

#232: Post by SteveRhinehart »

bonjing wrote:Ha! You and me both and I was using apple pay. Not going to lie, I'll try again but if the lagom becomes available before the next drop the lagom it is. The wife likes the looks of the lagom better anyway. I would love to have a burr less option since I'd be changing the burrs anyway.
P64 is available at Prima right now. https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/opti ... b-optio-pp

p4lxrich

#233: Post by p4lxrich »

haha. perfect timing for you and i.

bonjing

#234: Post by bonjing »

p4lxrich wrote:just noticed lagom p64 is in stock silver/black with unimodal at prima. i see you're in cali like me. is unimodal same as mp? i guess today is a great day. wanted the p64 more actually.

According to option o high uniformity is for traditional espresso and the unimodal is for lighter roasts. Their explanation can be found here.

https://www.option-o.com/faq-lagom-p64

bonjing

#235: Post by bonjing »

SteveRhinehart wrote:P64 is available at Prima right now. https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/opti ... b-optio-pp
Thank you Steve! I will happily admit that I just purchased a lunar 2021 as I was expecting to get an orbit.
p4lxrich wrote:just noticed lagom p64 is in stock silver/black with unimodal at prima. i see you're in cali like me. is unimodal same as mp? i guess today is a great day. wanted the p64 more actually.
Thank you too! Yup, I jumped on that! I hope you got yours as well. Funny I checked after I missed the Orbit and they didn't show in stock :mrgreen:

babola

#236: Post by babola »

Yes, that's correct. Both mean the same.
HU (high uniformity) on the other hand is another type which is targeted more towards espresso.

Emoto

#237: Post by Emoto »

mrmoon wrote:after using the grinder for a week, i find that i actually do need to RDT otherwise i get over 1 gram of retention in the grinder consistently.
:shock:

This surprises me. Given the design with the tilt and the more or less vertical path of the beans, it seems really odd that there would be so much retention.

Now that more time has passed, is it still retaining a gram?

babola

#238: Post by babola replying to Emoto »

I would think that has to do more with static than actual grind retention along the overall grinding path, but could be wrong.
Orbits are known for high static, especially with those early adopters living in parts of US with drier climate. At least that's what I heard.

FotonDrv

#239: Post by FotonDrv »

Static can hold a surprising amount of ground beans. I use the HG1 and the cones retain a lot of grounds, way more than a gram, and if I do not knock them to drop the grounds the weight of the grounds varies widely. The wiper inside the cones, if you use it, still retains grounds but far less.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Hop Forward

#240: Post by Hop Forward »

Hi everyone!

I just bought the orbit second hand from user JDR. I thought I'd give some of my initial impressions. For reference, my main grinder is a P64 with SSP High Uniformity burrs, and I also have an HG-1 and Atom 75.

The sound
The whole complaint about the sound is, in my opinion, overblown. It is a higher pitch than my P64, but it's not annoying to me at all.
I've consistently heard concerns that this high pitch means it's about to stall. So far, that has not been my impression.

Retention
At first, I was using RDT. Put a big grain of salt on this, but I found this to make more problems than it solves with this grinder (initial impression only!). The design of the stock bean chute makes ANY amount of water cause problems with beans failing to feed -- NOT just at the top, where you can push them down, but far in. So I would grind, and be off by half a gram, but it was because a bean was essentially glued to the top or back of the chute. I had better, more consistent results WITHOUT RDT, but ONLY if I removed the chute extender. I've found that without RDT, coffee builds up on this and causes major retention issues from shot to shot, but without it I have no problems with static or mess.

At first, I was concerned with the retention and shot-to-shot variance, but after these changes I am more than content.

Knocker
I love it. It works fantastic, and is very helpful if you choose not to RDT especially.

Chute extender and hopper
They feel cheap and don't seem to fit the high-end feel of the rest of the grinder. Excited to see more options as they come out.

Dosing cup
LOVE it! Fits my decent portafilter great, and it feels very sturdy. I wish I had a portafilter solution with this grinder, but I'm less concerned now that I've used the dosing cup.

Grind quality
The grounds are very fluffy. Almost as fluffy as my Atom 75. No clumps. A tiny bit of lazy WDT and I was pulling very even shots with no visible channeling.

Multi-use button
Initially, I was concerned by the button in the front. From the few videos that are out so far, people seemed to really struggle with it. After 30 seconds of reading the manual, I love this thing. It's extremely easy to switch RPM presets, start grinding, or do an additional purge.

GBW
I'm very excited to try GBW when my 2021 scale comes on Monday.

Happy to answer any specific questions as they come up!