Weber and Acaia (Orbit) - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jeff
Team HB

#11: Post by Jeff »

I agree that there's a gap between the $800 Niche Zero or barely single-dosing DF64 with SSP burrs and a modern 64 mm designed for and excelling with single dosing. I would be very surprised if two firms that cater to luxury are going to fill it. At least from what I've seen so far, the old-school, European makes aren't reasonably addressing it either. Baratza seems a likely candidate, but the Vario+ seems like "a swing and a miss" to me.

nyzt_98

#12: Post by nyzt_98 »

I agree - acaia or weber won't fill that gap.

At the same time, if it is priced higher than P64, I would be curious to see how they differentiate themselves from the P64. P64 uses top of the line burrs, has good alignment - nothing major to fault.

About who can fill in the gap - my bet is on fellow :) Fellow ode isn't bad at all and I believe was mostly a product decision to go for the sub-300 market. It is easy to visualize an ode with better burrs, better variable rpm motor, better alignment.

Baratza appears to be largely lazy over the years because they keep selling well what they have

Jeff
Team HB

#13: Post by Jeff »

Having watched the live-stream presentation just now, a couple of bits of information that were presented that people might be interested in:

Edit: The recording is available. I'm leaving my impressions, but please watch it yourself before getting to the spoiler

Grinder starts at around 18:00
Spoiler: show

These are my personal impressions

* It is still a prototype, many design details haven't been worked out yet
* Release is targeted for sometime in 2022, with a present, target price of (around? under?) US$1,500
* The prototype was shown with 64 mm MP burrs
* The presenter seemed to me to suggest that it was comparable in use to a P64
* Total retention of the prototype was 1.4 g, which was higher than the presenter's P64
* The presenter indicated that it is a Acaia grinder and that there is some kind of relationship with Weber, that wasn't clear to me
* The presenter was unable to explain, to my satisfaction as a product manager, how this grinder was positioned relative to the P64

Auctor

#14: Post by Auctor »

thanks Jeff. I hope they take this time to solicit and incorporate feedback from the coffee community. Would love a killer feature or something else...app-enabled, bean counter, built in scale, interchangeable burrs, something that distinguishes it from Lagom and Kafatek...and with that level of retention, Eureka.

sethde

#15: Post by sethde »

How would you incorporate a bean counter or grind by weight in a grinder that's single-dose only?

nyzt_98

#16: Post by nyzt_98 »

I saw the livestream too.

I didn't clearly understand how this is positioned relative to P64 either. But if they can provide a similar grind quality with baratza/ode level of availability, that is a solid problem being solved - but they didn't promise aiming to solve the availability problem on the stream

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#17: Post by JB90068 »

Thanks for posting this Jeff.

It will be interesting to see the final version. I'd be willing to guess it will be a very nice grinder.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

jinrowang

#18: Post by jinrowang »

Here you can check it out

noahmichael89

#19: Post by noahmichael89 »

For the love of god, scrap all the app connectivity ideas. It will provide no utility, complicate repairs, and increase costs.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#20: Post by JB90068 replying to noahmichael89 »

I thought the idea of having a movable motor was a game changer! :D
How about if it could walk the dog and balance the checkbook? :lol:
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.