Wall mounted espresso grinder made from scrap parts

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
fransg

#1: Post by fransg »

Peter van der Weerd from www.kafko.nl tells me how he got an old broken fully automatic "egro" espresso machine. He took it apart, set aside the rotation pump for later use and built his own wall mounted espresso grinder using parts of "egro" grinder segments of the automatic.

He made the wall mount himself, replaced the ball bearings, added a timer doser and a nice old "coffee" switch, added a hopper from another scrapped machine and now he has his own little handy espresso grinder to test the espresso machines which he repairs every day in his workshop:

Bluecold

#2: Post by Bluecold »

That's so cool. And basically possible with any direct-drive grinder that has a grindchamber bolted to the motor instead of to the body.
Which is most grinders except for Mazzer basically.
Retention on the Egro grinder is pretty bad though. And look at the compressed ingot of grinds being extruded!
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
FotonDrv

#3: Post by FotonDrv »

It is still a creative way to deal with junked parts so it has generated a smile from me :)

What is that timer?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

fransg (original poster)

#4: Post by fransg (original poster) »

FotonDrv wrote:What is that timer?
It's a timer / dose from another "total loss" machine, salvaged and recycled into this project. I love the detail of the toggle switch which also has a ring with "COFFEE" engraved on it.