Victoria Arduino Mythos 2 Gravimetric

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Almico

#1: Post by Almico »

I saw the new Victoria Arduino Mythos 2 w/Gravimetric at the NY CoffeeFest. It has the Clima Pro 2.0 temp control, 85mm burrs, variable speed motor(600-1200rpm) and Gravimetric weight-based dosing. All in all, it was pretty impressive.

It worked great on the demo table. The only downside (I think) is the wait time while the portafilter is taring. It takes about 4 seconds to start grinding after the portafilter is engaged. But it nailed the dose weight every time with a nice fluffy pile of coffee.

It's a bit pricey, but I'm getting tired of my current grinder. It's too clumpy and the timed dosing is sketchy at best. Constant temperature will also be welcome to handle the rushes.

Interesting that their parent company, Nuovo Simonelli, has not incorporated the Gravimetric feature into their current Mythos 2...

http://simonelliusa.com/images/Mythos2-VA-Brochure.pdf

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

I can see the advantage of this grinder in a work environment vs home use. They cooling feature and gravimetric feature would increase grind consistency. They four second trade off is quicker than individual pre or post weighing of grinds and although not as fast as solely timed based grinding it is more accurate. Timed based grinding varies depending on amount of beans in hopper and bean density the latter may not be an issue if same beans and roast are used. N.S. tends to leave their top features to their premier product line Victoria Arduino with espresso machines and grinders.

Nuova Simonelli Mythos 2 On-Demand comes in 3 variants.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Almico (original poster)

#3: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Ah, I missed that post. The VA with all the bells and whistles is about $5K list. That's a heavy number.

OldNuc

#4: Post by OldNuc »

That sounds like a grinder designed for the busy commercial coffee bar market and not the home kitchen counter.

Almico (original poster)

#5: Post by Almico (original poster) replying to OldNuc »

Definitely not, but when has that stopped anyone here :D

Other than price, the size is relatively small at 20Hx16Dx8W and it's whisper quiet. The burrs are almost vertical, so retention is minimized. Clima Pro 2.0 would not attract home users, but the variable speed grinding, with hopper fed 85mm flat burrs and dose-by-weight might lure someone with a bit too much money and is tired of single dosing. I loved the convenience of my Sette 270W and at times would gladly sacrifice tinkering over the ultimate god shot in exchange for a quick doppio. And it happens to be incredibly clean. Grinds just pour gently out of the spout in a very well-behaved pile.

OldNuc

#6: Post by OldNuc »

I am sure someone will buy one and then find multiple issues with it for home use. :? It is already 2" too high for the standard kitchen.

redbone

#7: Post by redbone »

OldNuc wrote:That sounds like a grinder designed for the busy commercial coffee bar market and not the home kitchen counter.
Can't see anyone requiring a cooling feature for home use. Not inexpensive cost can be justified in a commercial environment if the traffic / income is great enough. Then again who here justifies purchase with just logic. :mrgreen:
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

OldNuc

#8: Post by OldNuc »

It will not fit on the standard counter with cabinets overhead either. That will be the deal breaker for the "gotta haveit" crowd.

Almico (original poster)

#9: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Unless they have a lever and have already solved the cabinet issue.

OldNuc

#10: Post by OldNuc »

Or a nice plumbed in and wired for 120/240 kitchen island. You have to plan ahead for these types of toys. 8)