Vibrating Distribution Tool (VDT?) Idea

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Nunas »

We had a lab for testing radio gear. In it, there was a vibrating table, used to shake the heck out of things to test stability. If you put a box containing anything small on it, whatever was inside would be spread around evenly. It strikes me that a micro version of that might be good to put right next to the grinder. Grind the beans>dump into portafilter>hold portafilter on VDT for a few seconds>tamp>brew. Has anyone thought of this? Are there any such commercial products? It would be rather easy to take a small DC motor, add a eccentric flywheel, put it in a box box with highly compliant rubber feet or a soft rubber pad and power it with a wall wart power supply.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

I think if you search you'll find where this has come up before. My recollection is it's never worked, I think the theory being that it causes the fines to move to the bottom and mess up something.

Ira

slipchuck

#3: Post by slipchuck »

Nunas wrote:We had a lab for testing radio gear. In it, there was a vibrating table, used to shake the heck out of things to test stability. If you put a box containing anything small on it, whatever was inside would be spread around evenly. It strikes me that a micro version of that might be good to put right next to the grinder. Grind the beans>dump into portafilter>hold portafilter on VDT for a few seconds>tamp>brew. Has anyone thought of this? Are there any such commercial products? It would be rather easy to take a small DC motor, add a eccentric flywheel, put it in a box box with highly compliant rubber feet or a soft rubber pad and power it with a wall wart power supply.
It was my million dollar idea but only panned out to be 2 cents :wink:

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

Folks were using dental vibrators (like this: https://media.dentalcompare.com/m/25/pr ... 00x300.jpg). I did not. The better grinders make it unnecessary, and those which create a grind that make this "necessary" would likely have more fines which, as stated, would migrate to the bottom of the basket. Think of a box of baseballs, table tennis balls, marbles, and BBs. SHake the box and all the BBs and marbles go to the bottom.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

h3yn0w

#5: Post by h3yn0w »

Tapping the side of the portafilter to settle and distribute is sort of the same general idea isn't it? That's my go to method now after seeing a video of Perger demonstrating it, though I generally WDT beforehand.

I also stumbled across this video once, which was posted 8 years ago. So I think people have played with the idea for a while ....

JR_Germantown

#6: Post by JR_Germantown »

h3yn0w wrote:Tapping the side of the portafilter to settle and distribute is sort of the same general idea isn't it? That's my go to method now after seeing a video of Perger demonstrating it, though I generally WDT beforehand.

I also stumbled across this video once, which was posted 8 years ago. So I think people have played with the idea for a while ....

<video>
That's my video. It was only an experiment. It was interesting, but not practical. I think I detailed my observations in a prior post here, or at that coffee diva site that I won't name because its owner thinks his site name should not be uttered without his permission. :(

For me, the process has to flow, and I won't consider any method (or tool) that requires removing the basket from the handle. In fact, I've renounced just about anything that requires an extra "tool" (except for my OE short dosing funnel, which to me is indispensable). My technique is pretty close to that recommended by Matt Perger.

Jack