Versalab M3 with 0866 control board

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Carneiro

#1: Post by Carneiro »

Hello there. Long time no post here...

I finally installed the 0866 bodine board I have since 2017. I have some doubts...

First, the manual says only dip switches 3 and 5 should be on for the 33A3 (90/130 V) I have, not 3, 4 and 5 as AssaFL said before. Any thoughts? Probably Versalab did use different motors back then - this unit has serial number 255.

Second, I have a new belt. Yet, it can slip and when it does, the board tries to control speed and it can't grind the beans no matter what (some times it can reduce speed and go on). Just for comparison, with the original board some times the belt would slip but with some fiddling the grinder could be started again and it would grind the beans.

I wonder if I should have gotten the new pulley and double belts for more grip... Or if I should go for a toothed belt - does anybody know if they are still available? I have a 1.5A thermal fuse for protection.

For those who use this board with a toothed belt, does the board control speed if it goes to a stall or in this case only the fuse saves the day?

Thanks!

Carneiro (original poster)

#2: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

I read the Versalab M3 vs. Others again and remember the dip switches discussion. I'll try to experiment with 3,4,5 and 2,5,7. I don't understand how the 2,5,7 setting should output 130VDC if the manual says the board is 0-90 (or 0-180).

Anyway, maybe I was running into a torque problem, I turn the torq pot to 3 o'clock (max) and it seems to work now. Unfortunatel, we use some beans that are not so fully expanded (not light roast but not typical espresso roast either) and sometimes it'll probalby slips.

Quester

#3: Post by Quester »

Carneiro wrote:Unfortunatel, we use some beans that are not so fully expanded (not light roast but not typical espresso roast either) and sometimes it'll probalby slips.
I assume you are thoroughly cleaning the belt? I had an M4, and the dual belts did slip once. I cleaned them and it didn't happen again. Although it did jam on rare occasions.

Upgrading to the new drive system seems like the best option--there is a kit. It is a bit of an investment, however. I think around $500.

#4: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

Yes, the belt is new and I cleaned the belt and pulley using isopropyl alcohol.

I already had the controller (I don't know if it's the same Versalab sells but it's from Bodine). Last time I bought the belt from Versalab, I could upgrade it to the double belt and taller pulley, but I didn't as it would cost 120 more.

Anyway, using 3, 4 ,5 at the dip switches and maximum torque pot it seems there is no problem. We'll see if the belt really slips some time.

Quester

#5: Post by Quester »

Carneiro wrote:Anyway, using 3, 4 ,5 at the dip switches and maximum torque pot it seems there is no problem. We'll see if the belt really slips some time.
Good to hear.

Although I no longer have my Versalab, I enjoyed it very much.

#6: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

I like it. We use it at work, 6-10 people every day, morning and after lunch.

Bunkmil

#7: Post by Bunkmil »

Is the 0866 the best control for the 6034 motor? I don't have my Versalab anymore but I remember asking Bodine what would be the best control and they recommended the 0783.

AssafL

#8: Post by AssafL »

The 0783 is a filtered PWM model. The 0866 is the SCR model which produces a bit less torque than the 0783 (or any filtered driver). But the 0866 is the only one that works both 220V and 110V.

The one Versalab uses now is (I think) the KBWS-22D which is PWM (filtered) AND works both 110V and 220V.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.