Using static to reduce microgrounds

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mnitachke

#1: Post by mnitachke » Dec 01, 2019, 3:41 pm

Hi!

I'm new to the HB forms, but have been obsessing over coffee and coffee products for awhile.

Are there any grinders out there that use static beneficially, specifically to try and remove microgrounds? Im not sure if there is a way to control static charge, but if you could guide coffee through a statically charged chute, I feel like this would be a good way of collecting undesirable microgrounds.

Just wondering if a product like this is already out there somewhere.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC » Dec 01, 2019, 3:55 pm

At work, I intentionally skip the RDT step, and let the static cling the fine chaff and ultra fine particles on the inside of the grinder/grinder cup so they're left out of the brew. I seal the cup back on, give it a tap and put it away for the next brew, where all the static has discharged and all the fine chaff and powder now simply dumps out into the trash.

sweaner
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by sweaner » Dec 01, 2019, 6:22 pm

Why do you feel that the "microgrinds" are a problem?
First time that I heard that word.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Yan

#4: Post by Yan » Dec 01, 2019, 8:23 pm

TomC wrote:At work, I intentionally skip the RDT step, and let the static cling the fine chaff and ultra fine particles on the inside of the grinder/grinder cup so they're left out of the brew. I seal the cup back on, give it a tap and put it away for the next brew, where all the static has discharged and all the fine chaff and powder now simply dumps out into the trash.
Same here I do think grinder like Apex produce fines a bit but the chute hold most of the fines when I clean after brew process done, I use tea pot brush & vacuum cleaner to cleaning the chute from fines, same like Kinu Travel with the plastic retriever they do static but it will hold the fines and chaff as long we don't tap or shaking the grinder body rigorously...

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster » Dec 02, 2019, 2:45 am

For many hand grinders, the fines and chaff will cling to the underside of the grinder due to the static charge. I don't smack them into the catch cup, rather I dump the grinds in the cup and then dispose of the fines and chaff. Not intentional, per-se, but rather taking advantage of the charge built up while grinding to dispose of some of the fines and chaff.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Ora

#6: Post by Ora » replying to yakster » Dec 02, 2019, 3:10 am

i wonder how it affects higher quality grinders that produce less fines though. I watched one vid with tetsu kasuya and april coffee guy, and when he asked tetsu about sifting fines, hes like "sifting makes boring taste." So if you have a good grinder, maybe removing ALL the fines would result in a clear, but "boring" cup. Of course ymmv and its dependent on your personal taste and what you look for in a coffee

C-Antonio

#7: Post by C-Antonio » Dec 02, 2019, 9:29 am

Back in the day there was the concept that the fines have their place in the extraction, so unless the grinds were all over the place excessively tightening the spread of size would kill that.
Although back then there wasnt a 3rd wave, noone was gonna use paper filters on top and bottom of the puck etc etc etc. so I guess its all a matter of taste rather than "whats best"... everyone has a different "best" and today there is enough equipment to let one pick and choose which way they want to go.

For sure I would prefer having the fines all distributed with the rest of the grinds rather than being separated along the path with the risk of ending all together in just a limited region in the puck.
“Eh sì sì sì…sembra facile (fare un buon caffè)!”