Using a doser as intended

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
AMac

#1: Post by AMac »

TL;DR: How do you use your hopper/doser to increase the speed of your espresso drinks?

With the holidays coming up and more people at my house than usual, I'm trying to optimize my workflow. I am looking at using the hopper and doser for my Mazzer SJ as it was intended instead of the single-dosing out of it I usually do. The first/last time I did it three years ago, I adjusted the dose using the nut in the middle of the doser to make about 7.5g per dose. I adjusted the fineness of the grind to make about 30 seconds from release of the lever to when it stopped moving. Are there any other tips and/or tricks you have to make this go faster/better?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

When I catered at a local cars and coffee, I either used a grinder with timed dose, or one with a doser and the strikeoff method. That's where you thwack thwack the doser for a nice distribution, then level cut across the basket with your finger to return the excess coffee back into the doser for the next shot. Since I was making back-to-back drinks, that speeds up the delivery and has near zero waste. I never bothered with trying to get the actual doser vanes dialed in; it might be worth the effort it I was doing it everyday for large crowds.
Dan Kehn

AMac (original poster)

#3: Post by AMac (original poster) »

HB wrote:Since I was making back-to-back drinks, that speeds up the delivery and has near zero waste. I never bothered with trying to get the actual doser vanes dialed in; it might be worth the effort it I was doing it everyday for large crowds.
When you did these events with the Pro 800, did you weigh your output, pull when the lever stopped moving, or something else?

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Weigh the coffee? :lol: I often had a line of drinks 10 deep, so my routine was optimized for speed:

The event was on Saturday morning and I would setup Friday after work. I would dial in the coffee and serve the employees. The next morning, I'd pull a couple shots to confirm it was correct, then off to the races. The drink weight was determined by the Pro 800 volume; if it ran long or blonded, which it shouldn't, I would pull the cup and let the rest go into the driptray.

If you're really bored, here's a video of a series of drinks I made back then:
And a related discussion in Spot the errors in my barista routine.
Dan Kehn

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

A classic, espresso blend tends to be forgiving of dose. They also tend to be what many expect, especially in a milk drink.

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

That's true. At such an event, I only served 1 or 2 straight espressos and chose blends optimized for milk drinks (e.g., Klatch Coffee's Belle and Counter Culture Coffee's Big Trouble). Speed and consistency are what mattered, not trying to impress espresso-only aficionados. While I considered what I served nothing particularly special, some commented on how exceptional the drinks were. I believe that's more a statement about typical cafes in our area than my skills or coffee selection (though to be fair, cafes have gotten a lot better the last few years and there's some that are consistently very good).
Dan Kehn

Capuchin Monk

#7: Post by Capuchin Monk »

When I visited Italy years ago, the bars (where coffee drinks are served along with other beverages) grinder doser is maintained at about half full inside throughout the day via auto switch or manually. Then the barista would put the portafilter under and pull the lever once for 1 serving and 2 for double serving. The pace is quick even during the morning rush.

For the doser to work properly, it has to be filled above certain level and I think that's around half way.

blumes

#8: Post by blumes »

a normal routine in Italy

AMac (original poster)

#9: Post by AMac (original poster) »

blumes wrote:a normal routine in Italy

video
Yeah, that's what I'll shoot for, but I'm really hoping to get as a fast as Dan. :lol: Going to try filling the doser halfway to get consistency, only try weighing for the first one to try to get an idea of grinder adjustments, and try to keep up. Thanks for all your ideas!

LVD

#10: Post by LVD »

The amount of drinks he made in that 4.5 minute video would take an American cafe 4.5 hours.