User experience with Timemore Sculptor Grinders 078 078s - Page 16

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
howard seth

#151: Post by howard seth »

I got my white Sculpture 078 yesterday. I ran about 20 grams of coffee through it before making coffee with my Hario Switch this morning. Very quiet compared to my 17 year old Macap M4 grinder.

I made 3 cups of coffee grind settings between 6-8. I tried Motor speeds between 1075 - 1125 rpm (more or less)

I did not notice any weird motor sounds - it does sound higher pitched - and yet smoother - compared to my Macap M4.
It seems to retain less grounds than my Macap grinder. The grinds looked finer and more uniform than my Macap at the settings I chose - it drained out from my Hario Switch (pour-over V60 shape) perhaps slightly slower - but not by a lot - considering how much finer the grinds looked. The 3 coffees (home roasted) I tried - 2 were medium roast (before second crack) - 1 was dark.

The grinder is less messy than the Macap. The hopper and the dose cup worked fairly well. I poured the beans in a stream as the motor was going- I did not fill it first.

I did not really season the grinder - the taste was good - I'd describe it as bolder for the same amount of beans used as my Macap M4

Yan

#152: Post by Yan »

Anyone with Sculptor 078 doing side by side with Fuji Royal R220/OE Apex ?

Jonk

#153: Post by Jonk replying to Yan »

Yes, an R220 with old burrs. I much prefer the 078.

Yan

#154: Post by Yan replying to Jonk »

Any significant benefits regarding the taste profile?

Jonk

#155: Post by Jonk replying to Yan »

Yes, both with regards to taste profile and practicality. But I doubt my R220 has a similar profile to an OE Apex, even though I've never tried one.

The best cups I've had with the 078 have had surprisingly clear notes against a full background. Not overwhelming acidity but very nice ripe fruit forward flavors. It doesn't magically make every coffee taste amazing. Perhaps that is not unlike the Apex?

Yan

#156: Post by Yan »

Jonk wrote:Yes, both with regards to taste profile and practicality. The 078 have had surprisingly clear notes against a full background. Not overwhelming acidity but very nice ripe fruit forward flavors. It doesn't magically make every coffee taste amazing. Perhaps that is not unlike the Apex?
That's description seem similar with OE Apex if I do side by side my C40 with OE Apex, the C40 always more bright / acidic but less sweet & clarity to the Apex... thanks for the info...

Entreri

#157: Post by Entreri »

Jonk wrote:It seems you have to push and hold the power button momentarily, just tapping usually doesn't work.

For me, the main problem with the hopper is that it is so shallow. Most of the time there'll be a bean or shards stuck to it due to RDT and popcorning. It's nice that there's no strict practical need to RDT, but it seems to me that the grind quality improves so it's been worth the extra hassle.
On the plus-side, according to Lance we should all be slow-feeding beans anyway, so we could just call the shallow hopper a feature ;)

Jonk

#158: Post by Jonk »

There is less popcorning and stuck (because of RDT) beans with slow feeding.. but the shallow hopper doesn't really help in any way :wink:

So far I haven't found slow feeding the 078 turbo burrs helpful. But 078S is said to reap benefits. There's this 3D-print to improve the experience a little: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6442309

darpriper

#159: Post by darpriper »

Hi, I found the topic very interesting. I also owns a 078s and I am having problems of consistency, I do a shot in 23" and the next one is 15". I seasoned it with 2 kilos and another one of use so in total 3kilos on mu 078s.

I am very dissapointed in this point because I feel stupid trying to dial in the espresso and It gives you back a bad shot (which costs you money)

I think I will contact timemore for a solution! I read people very happy with their 078s but others are having this problem.

By the way, are you doing slowfeeding? It can affect the way of grinding

LObin

#160: Post by LObin replying to darpriper »

I'm suspecting that there is a good amount of variation between each new 078S burr set. Some report very decent results without any seasoning while others need 6-7KG, just like it was so brilliantly detailed in Aramse's review.

It seems some burr sets may need break-in and not only seasoning.

Since I didn't want to take the chance to waste very good coffee, I bought close to 5kg of cheap dark beans at Costco and immediately seasoned my 078S. I've been highly impressed by the espresso profile, consistency and wide range available.

I don't know if you test the grinder for alignment but mine was way off. It's a painful process on the Sculptor...
LMWDP #592