User experience - Niche Duo 83mm flat burr grinder - Page 13

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#121: Post by jwCrema »

I contacted support - the net of that interaction was everything is tight/normal. As fate would have it, in the course of the support interaction, I had a great shot, the next morning the grind went too tight and the wife and are both drinking swill.

Bought a DF83 v2 - which arrived yesterday. Blown away by the DF83 build quality, no bits of coffee fragments, vastly more powerful motor, I could go on and on. I have a bead on Mazzer burrs, but will see how the shipped burrs fare.

Due to my great experience with the Zero I had lost track of the grinder market - had no idea the DF had arrived. I give the Duo credit for reminding me about the taste of the 83 mm burr.

Is this a break-in issue with the Duo? Probably - I have little to zero tolerance/patience for inconsistency. I am not interested in fiddling with a new device to determine the root cause. The shaking nags at me to think there might be something other break-in at play.

GregoryJ

#122: Post by GregoryJ »

I just got the Duo in ~ a week ago with espresso burrs. As a Niche Zero owner, everything was pretty much as I expected. I often have 2 coffees on the counter (a regular and a decaf) so I mostly wanted a second grinder so I could have one for each coffee, was not really looking for an upgrade. And while I considered getting a 2nd Niche Zero, that sounded boring so I got the Duo.

So far, the Duo has been great. It is very easy to disassemble and clean. The motor must have pretty high torque, because I've seen it "jump" ever so slightly on my counter sometimes. The chute seems to have slightly more play to it than on the Zero, which I notice when I flick it to knock grounds out. The wood accents do seem smoother on the Duo.

As far as coffees go, I generally make medium to dark roast espressos. Some coffees that I really like at 1.5 : 1 ratio on the Zero, I prefer at a 2 : 1 ratio on the Duo. These longer shots on the Duo have a bit less body (but still feel creamy) and a sweeter more rounded taste compared to the Zero.

I did a marker test just for fun, and only about half of each burr wiped clean. Right now I don't feel like there is any reason to mess with shims though, as the coffee coming out has been great. I was hoping the grind times would be a bit faster, but it's around 20 sec for a 14 g dose, same as the Niche Zero.

Jonk

#123: Post by Jonk »

GregoryJ wrote:The motor must have pretty high torque, because I've seen it "jump" ever so slightly on my counter sometimes
That's not necessarily a good sign. If it's when it turns on, like a lot of commercial grinders, fine. If it's while grinding, like for example an Ode, not as much..

GregoryJ

#124: Post by GregoryJ »

Yes it just moves ever so slightly when the burrs start spinning.

I forgot to mention, I found the popcorn bits annoying so I put a little rubber disk over the hopper to block those.

stilin

#125: Post by stilin »

Hello, I'm about 3 months into my espresso journey and 1 month into the Duo, so keep that in mind as you read my observations. :)

My first grinder was the Eureka Oro XL. I really liked the simplicity of setting a time and grinding directly into the portafilter. That worked well for around a month and started clogging non-stop. If I grinded coarser, the espresso was sour beyond drinkable. I couldn't make it work so sent it back.

I had no interest initially in a single dose grinder as my palate isn't refined enough that being a 1/10th of a gram one way or another could discern. I actually thought that single dosing was more complicated. After I switched to the Duo I thought my work flow was much easier and defiantly see why SD is so popular. I was going through beans like crazy trying to adjust the Oro XL and can dial in a shot so much faster on the Duo. No clogging, less retention using the same coffee.

I'm not big on hype and the Niche following kind of steered me away when I purchased my first grinder, but I can see why now. It's very simple and cost efficient for a sub $1k grinder. The quality of my grind has improved drastically. I can tell by the little bit that drops down over my shot glass after I pour it into my latte cup. If it's thick and drips slowly, i'm dead on which timing backs up.

I can't tell you if it's better than the Zero or not since I've never used it, but I have been very impressed with the richness of my shots compared to what I was receiving previously.

GregoryJ

#126: Post by GregoryJ »

stilin wrote: I'm not big on hype and the Niche following kind of steered me away when I purchased my first grinder, but I can see why now. It's very simple and cost efficient for a sub $1k grinder. The quality of my grind has improved drastically.
Niche owners do tend to quickly recommend a Niche in threads where someone is considering one. But, the actual release of the Duo was completely absent of hype, simply appearing on their website for sale. Compared to the announcements of the Key, Sculptor, Philos, it's quite a contrast.

guelfo83

#127: Post by guelfo83 »

I've been using a Niche Duo with espresso burrs for about a month and I keep having issues with inconsistent grinding. I only use freshly roasted specialty coffees (usually within 2days-3 weeks from roasting) in the medium roast range. I weight my beans before and after grinding, then I tamper them using my Sage Barista Touch Impress to get always the same tampering force and time and weight the yield. The issues is that I never get the same parameters. Today, I used 18.5gr of freshly roasted coffee with a grind size of 3. The first time I got 38gr of yeld in 26 seconds. I immediately repeated the process with the exact same grind size and weight and I got 45gr of yeld in 38 seconds. This keeps happening with all coffees, regardless of the coffee I use. Also, the grinder needs to be set at very low sizes for medium roast hence it won't be able to grind light roasted coffees that require grinding even finer. Do you have any advice?

Jeff
Team HB

#128: Post by Jeff »

Get a good, manual tamper and manually cut your shots at the desired ratio.

PPapa

#129: Post by PPapa »

:evil:
GregoryJ wrote:Niche owners do tend to quickly recommend a Niche in threads where someone is considering one. But, the actual release of the Duo was completely absent of hype, simply appearing on their website for sale. Compared to the announcements of the Key, Sculptor, Philos, it's quite a contrast.
... and the disgruntled Niche owners (like myself) cannot post reviews as Niche removes them :shock:

It's been hyped up because it's a cheap grinder that had no competition and people seem to like it (presumingly because they haven't tried anything else).

malling

#130: Post by malling »

guelfo83 wrote:I've been using a Niche Duo with espresso burrs for about a month and I keep having issues with inconsistent grinding. I only use freshly roasted specialty coffees (usually within 2days-3 weeks from roasting) in the medium roast range. I weight my beans before and after grinding, then I tamper them using my Sage Barista Touch Impress to get always the same tampering force and time and weight the yield. The issues is that I never get the same parameters. Today, I used 18.5gr of freshly roasted coffee with a grind size of 3. The first time I got 38gr of yeld in 26 seconds. I immediately repeated the process with the exact same grind size and weight and I got 45gr of yeld in 38 seconds. This keeps happening with all coffees, regardless of the coffee I use. Also, the grinder needs to be set at very low sizes for medium roast hence it won't be able to grind light roasted coffees that require grinding even finer. Do you have any advice?
Do you wdt you might need to do so... that said medium should not be at 3, I'm at 5-6 with a light 14/42 dose/out in a Unibasket so unless yours is wildly off in zeroing something isn't as it should be, with 18g VST 1/2.5 ratio I'm around 8-10