User Experience: Kafatek Monolith Flat MAX - Page 63

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
luckydragon

#621: Post by luckydragon »

blondica73 wrote:I have the standard MAX and it looks as good as all black, a little variety given that my LMLM is stainless steel. If you want all black, order the standard to get inline and then email Denis to upgrade, he's very reaonable.
There's a 7-day grace period between paying for the deposit and selecting your customization options. If you wait too long to order upgrades (specifically, burr coating or anodizing), Denis may have already placed the order for the parts. Obviously, separate accessories like the wood caps would be an easier add-on after the fact.

blondica73

#622: Post by blondica73 »

Within reason, you can't wait 3 months and change. It's just that I lost the lottery once because I was trying to select features. Just place the order if you can, then email Denis so that you can select the options.

blondica73

#623: Post by blondica73 »

The static without RDT is very annoying. Any way of getting rid of static without RDT?

Me2
Supporter

#624: Post by Me2 »

Pump 10-15lbs through it. Should help.

blondica73

#625: Post by blondica73 » replying to Me2 »

I already pumped about 5 lbs.

pcrussell50

#626: Post by pcrussell50 »

blondica73 wrote:The static without RDT is very annoying. Any way of getting rid of static without RDT?
Somewhere here there was a very large thread the HG-1. It was the first widely distributed grinder with a full drop-down single doser design, and if you remove the "scraper", which most people did, there is no homogenizing device to knock off static. There was MUCH discussion about ways to minimize static in that thread, and that's where (I think), David Ross', ten year old, Ross Droplet Technique broke out into common knowledge. It's what made it OK for me to go ahead and buy the HG-1 that I still have.

Anyway, the long and the short of that article was, that nothing really worked to knock down static (on the HG-1) except RDT, or the "scraper" tool.

So I've been doing RDT for a long time, including with my Monoliths (first a FlatSSP now a Max). One thing I have learned recently though with Monoliths... when trying to grind really fine, it's best to use just the minimum. Too much and you can stall your flow when trying to grind really fine... At least with the FlatSSP. I haven't pushed my Max that hard yet. Yet. But I will.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

RyanP

#627: Post by RyanP »

I've been using my monolith max daily for about 17 months now. I don't know how many #s through it, but a lot. Even now if I forget to RDT there is quite a bit of static, so I'd temper any hopes that it'll go away. Depends on where you live, of course. But, giving the beans a spritz is such a mindless action it's a non-issue for me.

In terms of distribution, I can get away with not using WDT/stirring the grinds. The majority of the time it will still pull a nice shot, even with light nordic roasts. However, I don't just want to "get away" with it, so I still WDT for more consistent results.

tyfabes

#628: Post by tyfabes »

RyanP wrote:I've been using my monolith max daily for about 17 months now. I don't know how many #s through it, but a lot. Even now if I forget to RDT there is quite a bit of static, so I'd temper any hopes that it'll go away. Depends on where you live, of course. But, giving the beans a spritz is such a mindless action it's a non-issue for me.
Agree, it's a mindless action and I do it for every grind on my Vario and will plan to once I get a MAX. As a comparison, how much retention does the MAX have using RDT? On my Vario with flat brew burrs, I find that it's less than .1g on a 40g grind. Hoping for similar results, if not better, on the MAX.

TomC
Team HB

#629: Post by TomC »

pcrussell50 wrote:Somewhere here there was a very large thread the HG-1. It was the first widely distributed grinder with a full drop-down single doser design, and if you remove the "scraper", which most people did, there is no homogenizing device to knock off static. There was MUCH discussion about ways to minimize static in that thread, and that's where (I think), David Ross', ten year old, Ross Droplet Technique broke out into common knowledge. It's what made it OK for me to go ahead and buy the HG-1 that I still have.

-Peter
Pretty much this.

When I was in the early stages of the HG-One (then called) review, I noticed a ton of static, where medium to darker roasted coffees would basically glue themselves to the lower funnel. I shared these struggles here and Andy Schecter sent me a Facebook message suggesting I try something that David Ross used to suggest from way back in the Alt-Coffee days, (oddly forgotten about) which was just to flick the beans with a few drops of water and stir with a spoon. This sorta evolved into different approaches, dripping a few drops from a spoon then shaking in a cup, etc..

Because it was buried in the HG-One thread at the time, it seemed more useful, search wise, to have a separate thread about it, which my friend Yakster started. It didn't make sense to have a long drawn out wording for a concept of putting a few drops of water on a spoon and stirring the coffee, so for simplicity sake, I just gave it a name after the inventor and shortened it, since I figured like WDT, it would be mentioned quite frequently.

The New HG one Grinder: The Home Test

And fixed about 30 minutes later

The New HG one Grinder: The Home Test

I think the wiper vanes were kind of an afterthought to help even out the distribution into the basket or dosing cup.

tyfabes

#630: Post by tyfabes »

My MAX arrives tomorrow. I can hardly contain my excitement. I suspect over-caffeination will be in my future, at least for this week. :lol: