User Experience: Kafatek Monolith Flat MAX - Page 62

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mivanitsky (original poster)
Supporter ★

#611: Post by mivanitsky (original poster) »

I have one of each, and no difference in cup or anything else, when broken in.

Idfixe

#612: Post by Idfixe »

cunim wrote:I am confused by reports that some users do not have static with the flats (Max or standard). I RDT every time, use the puffer, and my flat is still one messy grinder. I was hoping to hear that the Max is less prone to static (an excuse to upgrade) but that does not appear to be the case. Why do I RDT if it does not solve static? I find that, with the medium roasts I prefer, the flat needs more internal cleaning if I do not RDT. Cleaning just involves sticking a brush up the exit spout into the chamber, twirling it, removing the brush and then running the grinder. Repeat half a dozen times and it's clean. With RDT I only need to do that every half dozen cups or so. Without RDT, grind fineness adjustment tends to clog up after just a few cups. Does the Max need frequent cleaning with/without RDT?

I get quite some static as well on a new MAX. This was expected, I bought 10lbs of stale beans to season the burrs... will report back when done.

Advertisement
spressomon

#613: Post by spressomon »

Thanks to this thread and a couple of you that reported no RDT necessary I opted to try grinding with my Flat sans any water. With a medium roast Ethiopia beans it worked perfectly without any water. One less habit to fuss over :lol:
No Espresso = Depresso

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#614: Post by Peppersass »

mivanitsky wrote:RDT needs to be very light with MAX at espresso grind for light roasts.
I found this to be the case with my Flat, too, both with the original Mythos burrs and the SSP burrs I have now. I no longer need to RDT, but when I did it was imperative to use the tiniest amount of water I could produce with the spray bottle. Also, I mixed the water with the beans.

Too much water and beans would stick to the funnel. Not a huge deal because my Flat is one of the early models without a safety cap and I could simply push the unground beans down into the burrs and run the grinder again, but reducing the amount of water eliminated that step.

davidhunternyc

#615: Post by davidhunternyc »

Does anyone have photos of both the "black anodized body" and "black motor"? Both are options but I'm not sure what these options are referring to? Thanks. I would prefer an all-black Kafatek Monolith Flat Max but I don't know if I would have to click both of these boxes as well.

shotwell

#616: Post by shotwell »

Denis shows various combinations on Instagram, so that might be the easiest way for you to see what differences there are.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9P_EQqhAyg/ - This is a photo with everything black that can be except for the motor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9FAibTBZS0/ - This shows a black motor and body with a red top plate.

Grinder forks don't seem to come in black, but you want the options of black anodize for body, exit chute, funnel, and safety cap as well as the option for a black painted motor.

pcrussell50

#617: Post by pcrussell50 »

davidhunternyc wrote:Does anyone have photos of both the "black anodized body" and "black motor"? Both are options but I'm not sure what these options are referring to? Thanks. I would prefer an all-black Kafatek Monolith Flat Max but I don't know if I would have to click both of these boxes as well.
My Max is this version. If Chris's links aren't satisfactory, I can shoot some snaps of mine when I get home in a week or so.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Advertisement
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#618: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

RDT discussion- morning images.

Flat with std burrs 2019

Arizona. Altitude 2915. 65 degrees. 23% humidity. 27% dew point.

With and without RDT (2 spritzes). Larger clumps without. Without image first. Cleaned funnel before each. Sorry for the rotation in the second one. Trying to avoid glare.

Doesn't the need depend quite a bit on ambient conditions. That said both nice shots. Just more WDT without.

Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

davidhunternyc

#619: Post by davidhunternyc »

shotwell wrote:Denis shows various combinations on Instagram, so that might be the easiest way for you to see what differences there are.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9P_EQqhAyg/ - This is a photo with everything black that can be except for the motor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9FAibTBZS0/ - This shows a black motor and body with a red top plate.

Grinder forks don't seem to come in black, but you want the options of black anodize for body, exit chute, funnel, and safety cap as well as the option for a black painted motor.
Thank you everyone for clarifying and for the photos too. Yes, all-black is the way to go. Now I just need to get on that list so I can order one or, perhaps, wait for a used one to come up.

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#620: Post by blondica73 »

I have the standard MAX and it looks as good as all black, a little variety given that my LMLM is stainless steel. If you want all black, order the standard to get inline and then email Denis to upgrade, he's very reaonable.