User Experience: Kafatek Monolith Flat MAX - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SimonPatrice

#21: Post by SimonPatrice »

And now, with the beast of a grinder coming out, people will want to get rid of their Monolith Flat for a mere couple of hundreds. :twisted: (Insert sinister laugh here.)
Patrice
LMWDP #428

danetrainer

#22: Post by danetrainer »

ira wrote:If I was guessing he's using the same motor but with the next step in gear reduction to be able to handle the bigger burrs.

The current flat is not a speed demon and this one probably won't be either, but the bigger burrs will probably make them grind at similar speeds. A wild guess on my part.

Ira
Ira it does dose about twice as fast! I felt it was in Robur range.

mivanitsky (original poster)
Supporter ★

#23: Post by mivanitsky (original poster) »

ira wrote:If I was guessing he's using the same motor but with the next step in gear reduction to be able to handle the bigger burrs.

The current flat is not a speed demon and this one probably won't be either, but the bigger burrs will probably make them grind at similar speeds. A wild guess on my part.

Ira
No. Different and much bigger motor. Native speed is 800 RPM, and there is gear reduction.

Supporter ★

#24: Post by mivanitsky (original poster) »

SimonPatrice wrote:And now, with the beast of a grinder coming out, people will want to get rid of their Monolith Flat for a mere couple of hundreds. :twisted: (Insert sinister laugh here.)
No. They will want both. Take the flat to work!

namelessone

#25: Post by namelessone »

Awesome ! This is the direction I would like to see grinder development go in! :)

It would be a shame though if the dial still only applies to espresso range, he really should include a dial out of the box which would cover non-espresso applications.

TomC
Team HB

#26: Post by TomC »

I have a R120 and a MonoCon and I still want one :)

I'd asked Denis last summer if he'd consider making something like this. He hinted, but I didn't know the details. Very exciting to see this come to life.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

cebseb

#27: Post by cebseb »

This is FANTASTIC. I just spent the past two days on sanding and measuring ek43 chambers and carriers. Around hour 6 of sanding, a longing for a machine with Ek sized burrs, fanatical tolerances, and single dose friendly ergonomics hit me pretty hard. It's almost as if Denis knew what I wanted before I wanted it. Incredible.

Eagerly awaiting that deposit window to open up...

Thanks for your impressions! Looking forward to more!

Sebastian

Supporter ★

#28: Post by mivanitsky (original poster) »

I have used the beta grinder with all of my machines: Slayer, CT1, and Londinium R. The benefits of the grinder in terms of complexity, clarity, and layering of flavors is noticibly on all of the machines. It is possible to extract excellent espresso with coffee that is very fresh, or older and well-kept. Mostly I use well-developed light roasts, but this grinder can make lemonade from lemons when necessary. I've enjoyed it a lot with Kenyans, Colombians, and DP Ethiopians. You can really fine tune the extraction to get any good flavors present, much like the Flat, but to an even greater extent.

The production grinder I have used side by side with the beta, and extractions have been identical, despite new burrs. This is encouraging. I've been gone to New Orleans for the AAOS meeting this past week, and look forward to testing the production version further this week.

michael

#29: Post by michael »

so where do I sign up for one 8)

CwD

#30: Post by CwD »

Done any extraction yield measuring? Curious if it's pulling any higher than the SSP modified EK's I've seen. Obviously better workflow, smaller size, and less fuss setting up either way.

I wonder if Denis would put SSP's tungsten burrs in one for the price difference. They claim the tungsten models are a touch higher extracting than the coated. It's not a small additional cost (over double coated burrs), but I wouldn't want to make the smallest compromise getting something of this caliber.