User Experience: Kafatek Monolith Flat MAX - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mivanitsky (original poster)
Supporter ★

#11: Post by mivanitsky (original poster) »

Pour over, a little better than Flat or same. Press I have not done except visual inspection of grind. CCD is great with Max or Flat. Think of this as an EK for non Espresso applications.

*sigh*

#12: Post by *sigh* replying to mivanitsky »

So it's a slight improvement overall compared to the don't it sounds. Maybe with a little versatility for things like Ekspresso?
Super intriguing nonetheless. I love my flat it's hard to imagine things could get better! Denis strikes again!

Advertisement
desmodici

#13: Post by desmodici »

mivanitsky wrote:
Also note the change in the locking mechanism. This is very solid, will not wander, and allows for even more precision in burr alignment per Denis.
Sounds awesome and thanks for posting the great news.
Can you clarify how the locking mechanism works? (Others have probably figured it our from the pics, but my brains just isn't working right now)

JayBeck

#14: Post by JayBeck »

mivanitsky wrote:Pour over, a little better than Flat or same. Press I have not done except visual inspection of grind. CCD is great with Max or Flat. Think of this as an EK for non Espresso applications.
Thanks! That makes me feel better about my purchase!

mivanitsky (original poster)
Supporter ★

#15: Post by mivanitsky (original poster) »

desmodici wrote:Sounds awesome and thanks for posting the great news.
Can you clarify how the locking mechanism works? (Others have probably figured it our from the pics, but my brains just isn't working right now)
I have not actually taken it apart, but you rotate the funnel to where you want it, and it just stays there. Really.

I was skeptical until I tried it as well, but it works perfectly.

*sigh*

#16: Post by *sigh* replying to mivanitsky »

Wow! I wonder if this will get incorporated to the Flat at some point.

Not that the current setup is an inconvenience by any stretch of the imagination.

CwD

#17: Post by CwD »

Oh man, a very serious contender for my next grinder here! Can't wait to hear more!

I'm wondering why the top speed of only 400rpm though...

Advertisement
desmodici

#18: Post by desmodici »

mivanitsky wrote:I have not actually taken it apart, but you rotate the funnel to where you want it, and it just stays there. Really.

I was skeptical until I tried it as well, but it works perfectly.
Thanks. My initial hunch when scanning and seeing the last 2 pics was spring tension similar to the mazzers.
(top burr mount with small cylinders that appear to fit into what appear to be springs in the bottom plate holes)

A lot of speculation and interpretation on my part and all the pieces of the puzzle don't quit fit based on the picture, so it's just a wild guess at this point. Whatever the case, I'm sure it's brilliant.

danetrainer

#19: Post by danetrainer »

I'll add a few data points from my observations using the Max for a month, and some comparisons to the grinders and coffees I regularly use, including Ditting 804, Robur, and M Conical. I like that the time in dosing is comparable even at its 350 rpm speed (actually faster than M Conical). I haven't put a stop watch to it but I feel it's equal to the Robur. Negligible retention of course. Slight RDT and really no WDT is required with adequate leveling and light tamp. It highlights the layers of a great coffee, exposes the poorer ones or flawed roast. And yes, all the mouthfeel is there with any comparison to one of the large conicals. It also gives that consistent range as a coffee ages with minimal adjustments needed. The SSP burrs themselves are really impressive, it's hard to fathom with Max's superior alignment and slow grinding speed finding any grinder that could equal it.

ira
Team HB

#20: Post by ira »

CwD wrote:I'm wondering why the top speed of only 400rpm though...
If I was guessing he's using the same motor but with the next step in gear reduction to be able to handle the bigger burrs.

The current flat is not a speed demon and this one probably won't be either, but the bigger burrs will probably make them grind at similar speeds. A wild guess on my part.

Ira