User Experience: Kafatek MC3 - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Denis

#71: Post by Denis »

Try some corn it is equivalent to light roasts.

Iowa_Boy

#72: Post by Iowa_Boy »

I was looking at the SCG site and most I have the commercial coffee I have bought like Slate Adisu Kidane, Olympia Big Truck, etc is listed as a medium roast. For grinder purposes, would it be reasonable to assume the MC3 or Flat would do equally well? It seems like the flat my have a slight advantage with lighter roasts, but it seems like many of the commercial roasts I have tried wouldn't qualify as a light roast.

Advertisement
ds

#73: Post by ds replying to Iowa_Boy »

I would qualify those as well developed light roasts and I do prefer them on my Flat.

Iowa_Boy

#74: Post by Iowa_Boy replying to ds »

Thanks! It looks like you have 2 Monoliths - when do you use each one?

BaristaBob

#75: Post by BaristaBob »

I've tried Leam Hammer from Dragonfly (they call it a Nordic roast) on my Gen2 MonoCon. Went through it like my medium roast beans...not phased in the least. Actually, quite impressive compared to what some VersaLab grinder owners have experienced.

Actually drinking it was another matter (for another topic)...not my cup of "tea", if you know what I mean. To each their own. :shock:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

grog

#76: Post by grog »

I'm currently running Kuma's Misty Valley natural, an Ethiopian, on my SSP Flat. It's considerably lighter than Leam Hammer and the Flat is unfazed. The Kafatek grinders are built like tanks.
LMWDP #514

Iowa_Boy

#77: Post by Iowa_Boy »

BaristaBob wrote:I've tried Leam Hammer from Dragonfly (they call it a Nordic roast) on my Gen2 MonoCon. Went through it like my medium roast beans...not phased in the least. Actually, quite impressive compared to what some VersaLab grinder owners have experienced.

Actually drinking it was another matter (for another topic)...not my cup of "tea", if you know what I mean. To each their own. :shock:
It seems like both work well across the spectrum - that's why it's so hard! So about 60% of the time, I am drinking more classic style, like Caffe lusso GMC or Caffe Umbria Gusto Crema. But the rest of the time I have enjoyed trying lighter roasts. Does that favor one Monolith or the other with that pattern, or is really just splitting hairs and pick one and move on? If Flat, I would get the SSP burrs. If MC3, I would get Mazzur burrs, but debating if TiN would be worth it.

Advertisement
Denis

#78: Post by Denis »

Light for X is not equal to Light from Y. I suggest if you don't drink really light coffee to stick to conical grinders. They are overall better to most coffee than a big flat grinder. Flat are good for brew+espresso out of really light coffee (hard to break between teeth).

Even more, after you get a Flat (flat max) as the normal Flat is not a true unimodal flat grinder (it is more as a rounder has taste hints from conical and flat aswell) you will need 100% a machine that allows you to make flow/pressure profiling, otherwise from my point of view the Flat max is just waste of money.

Italian roast are really dark, medium roast are espresso roast from 3rd wave specially coffee, and the true light roasts are the brew/filter roasted coffee.

boost

#79: Post by boost »

I'd like to hear the reasoning going with Mazzer burr on the MC3. I thought there's a some consensus here that the mazzer flat burrs is not as precision machined, finished or even designed hence the popularity of ssp burr upgrade,

However on the MC3 the upgrade burr option is actually Mazzer 186C burr. Other than the obvious reason that there is not just that many aftermarket option for conical I'd like to know if the Mazzer conical is somehow better machined or designed than its flat counterpart?

shawndo

#80: Post by shawndo replying to boost »

MC3 is a conical grinder. these are the 71mm Robur burrs. Even the SSP 71mm conical are still coated Mazzers as far as I know.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra