User Experience: Kafatek MC3 - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Gataros

#21: Post by Gataros »

With the Greek tax authorities, it is somehow a gamble on how much the final buyer is going to pay.

The fortunate thing is Denis packs the grinders carefully, so there is close to no risk when the grinder is shipped.

I would say that Denis grinders fall in the price category of a European EK43 grinder. The trouble will be if a mechanical failure occur to the grinder, the process of sending it back and forth to Seattle can be costly.

However, until today i have not heard of any such issues using these grinders.

lloydalvarez
Supporter

#22: Post by lloydalvarez »

Very excited to read this, thanks for the review and photos! When I bought my flat, i really struggled to decide over the conical and ultimately decided because of the size/look of the flat. But since i've had such a great experience with the Baratrza 270wi conical i really want to try the Kafatek conical and this seems like the perfect ticket! Thanks Denis!

DaveB

#23: Post by DaveB »

lloydalvarez wrote:Very excited to read this, thanks for the review {snip}
If not for this comment, I would not have known the OP had been edited to include the the much anticipated (and most excellent) review.

Thanks, Mike - much appreciated!

Edit: What's the difference between the Mazzer burrs vs stock?
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

yvizel

#24: Post by yvizel »

DaveB wrote:If not for this comment, I would not have known the OP had been edited to include the the much anticipated (and most excellent) review.

Thanks, Mike - much appreciated!
+1

def

#25: Post by def »

...Edit: What's the difference between the Mazzer burrs vs stock?
If you don't mind, could I piggyback on this question -- which burr set is used for TiN coating, and does it matter?

mivanitsky (original poster)
Supporter ★

#26: Post by mivanitsky (original poster) replying to def »

Mazzer burrs are made by Mazzer. The other ones are not. The precision/visual quality of the Mazzer burrs is a little better. There is no difference in cup quality, as per my notes above, and the cutting surfaces on the non-Mazzer burrs are the same as the ones in the previous generation Conical.

It is not yet determined, whether to have the Mazzer burrs be available as a TiN coated option. That will be additive cost increase, if so. The prices quoted above are for TiN coated, non-Mazzer burrs.

HRC-E.B.

#27: Post by HRC-E.B. replying to mivanitsky »

On that basis, what would motivate getting the Mazzer burrs instead of the stock ones, other than any aversion of getting the "base" version of anything? What's the other upside to spending an extra $150?

ds

#28: Post by ds replying to HRC-E.B. »

From what I know in talking to Denis when I took my test MC3 back, machining on Mazzer burrs is touch better, but that's not here or there, and also they don't have almost any break-in period. That would be for me the biggest benefit: no break-in.

mivanitsky (original poster)
Supporter ★

#29: Post by mivanitsky (original poster) »

I would concur. No one will be unhappy with the base burrs in the cup, vs. the Mazzers or the coated ones, and we see no point to the Gorilla burrs, which are awful, until they complete their rather long break-in, at which point they become equivalent.

I think TiN coated burrs stay a little cleaner, and they will not oxidize with RDT/water exposure, and that is the reason that I prefer them. There is no difference in the cup.

HRC-E.B.

#30: Post by HRC-E.B. »

Given change in burr spec since the time the order was placed,bid there still an opportunity to pick the TiN if stock burrs had been picked at ordering?