Use Eureka Olympus without the hopper?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
linuxAndJavaScript

#1: Post by linuxAndJavaScript »

I am trying to make room for a Eureka Olympus that I am considering. I am not looking to use the blow through system. Even with the smaller bean hopper, it would be to tall for where I need it to be.

Does anyone use the Olympus without the bean hopper(single dosing)? Any drawbacks to doing that if I just place the hopper lid over the hole so beans don't fly out?

erik82

#2: Post by erik82 »

It'll work. A friend of mine did it when he bought my Olympus.

Advertisement
linuxAndJavaScript (original poster)

#3: Post by linuxAndJavaScript (original poster) »

Wow, I am surprised I did not see that video in my searches.

I wish I knew how much coffee was that in the puck after he grinded(at 19 seconds in the video). Any ideas how much it could of been?

Also, I've been studying the video and I can't help but wonder if there are few beans left ungrounded and he stopped grinding to soon? On the first pass that is

erik82

#4: Post by erik82 »

He normally uses 18gr. He did some more testing and retention was close to 0.2gr. It's possible but takes a while to grind this way. I just purged 0.2s (3gr) before every session and ground 18gr in 3.2s.

#5: Post by linuxAndJavaScript (original poster) »

In the video it looks like he grinded and filled the portafilter about 1/3 full. Then, with the blow system it filled the portafilter the rest of 2/3. That would be a lot of retention...about 12 grams of retention. Am I looking at it correctly?

erik82

#6: Post by erik82 »

That's a totally wrong and useless way of measuring retention.

#7: Post by linuxAndJavaScript (original poster) »

erik82 wrote: ... and ground 18gr in 3.2s.
Is this with single dosing? For single dosing, I thought you mentioned it was in the ballpark of 16 seconds for this grinder to grind around 18 grams?

Advertisement
erik82

#8: Post by erik82 »

That's with hopper use like I used it. It's impossible to singledose in that amount of time with any grinder.

Mesmer

#9: Post by Mesmer »

It's certainly doable with vertical burrs.
For mine, it grinds 18g single dose in about 5s