Upgrading electronics to accommodate SSP burrs?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
iploya

#1: Post by iploya »

I've heard of various grinders stalling on occasion after upgrading to SSP burrs (more aggressive). Does anyone have info they can point me to on what and how to upgrade? I've seen suggestions to use a larger capacitor, and other suggestions that what is really needed is a more powerful motor ideally.

Yes, I realize this is not the most practical course of action (versus, say, returning to stock), but I am up for the challenge if there is a fairly straightforward part to upgrade that isn't crazy expensive (compared to what would likely be doubling or tripling my investment on a new, more expensive grinder).

flix67

#2: Post by flix67 »

What grinder are you using? It's hard to make an assessment without knowing anything about your grinder.

What capacitor are you referring to? Are you talking about the start capacitor in an induction motor? If so, I don't see why the capacitor size would change. Especially if the grinder is started without beans in the chamber - there shouldn't be any effect.

instantkamera

#3: Post by instantkamera »

i'd guess:
Equipment: Ceado E6P w/SSP Burr
but yeah, OP should state more clearly what they are working with.

iploya (original poster)

#4: Post by iploya (original poster) »

Yes, E6P with SSP burrs. I have no idea what capacitor -- that's why I'm asking the question. Others have mentioned it on other SSP discussions.

Rytopa

#5: Post by Rytopa »

Are you facing issues with the motor stalling currently?

i was previously using the mazzer mini e with SSP, did not experience any stalling even though there were some mentions about it.

some tips to prevent over working the motor and stalling

1) Run the grinder before dropping the beans
2) Single dose
3) Release the beans slowly, i am using a LW blind tumbler over the drop chute, slowly releasing the beans, while preventing popcorning. It also helps with the grind quality in this way

iploya (original poster)

#6: Post by iploya (original poster) »

Confirmed: the SSP burrs were causing my Ceado E6P to stall. I returned to the stock 64mm flat burrs, and the E6P is working flawlessly. Just a follow-up to caution others who may be tempted to make this upgrade.

What happens is, when you replace the burrs with SSP, you dump out any retained coffee and clean the chamber in the process, so there is initially no restriction. Thus, the SSP burrs will grind great initially. But eventually they accumulate grounds, and the aggressive burr teeth take more power to overcome the resistance of the ground coffee plus new beans trying to enter. Sometimes that means when you push the grind button, you just hear a click and nothing moves. If you pulse it, you can sometimes break free and get it moving. Other times you have to dial it out to a coarser setting to get it moving; but then of course you have to go back and dial it in.

I have heard some users say this happens more on light beans. For me, it happened even with medium-dark roasted beans like what Klatch sells. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough that it just was not worth it. I honestly get better, fluffier grounds out of the stock burrs, which are virtually clump free with the ONLY "mod" being a notched flap on the chute (takes 5 minutes) that others teach elsewhere in this forum.