Update on Fellow Ode with SSP burrs for espresso? Burnt out motors? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cactus_farmer (original poster)

#11: Post by cactus_farmer (original poster) »

malling wrote:I have been using it as I'm still waiting for an actual espresso grinder that is actually realistic to get, most currently isn't even available before 2023. No motor problem and I don't have much issues with massive shake and stalling since switching to cast, with MP that was indeed a noticeable issue and I don't think that would have been healthy for the grinder in the long run, but don't really seem to suffer that with cast. However as another also pointed out it dos retain about 0,5g that tend to get out with the next dose, so purging and using bellows is certainly necessary. It's not exactly something I recommend but can be used in case of emergency or as I in waiting for grinder to actually be released.
What exact burr are you using with your Ode?

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by buckersss »

Milligan wrote:I've long thought this. Nearly every YouTube review parrots the same thing with zero stories of a motor failure let alone wide spread failures from the "abuse" of grinding fine. My relatively cheap power drill keeps going with me driving thousands of screws into my deck on a 90F day in the sun without rest for hours. That's more abuse than a home grinder will see in a lifetime, yet the drill is 8 years old and keeps going. I'm unaware of all these frail electric motors in anything that fail regularly other than the cheapest junk you could find which is not the Ode. A stalled brushed motor that keeps power flowing through it can certainly overheat and fail but as far as I know the Ode has stall protection and won't do that.

Electric motors are pretty robust.
I hear you, I've got a 60 year old black and decker drill that keeps on working even after I accidentally torqued it to the point of smoking.

I don't think motor failure is really something pertinent to discuss... motor stalling on the other hand could be a consideration, that said I haven't used either.

malling

#13: Post by malling »

cactus_farmer wrote:What exact burr are you using with your Ode?
Cast/Lab sweet or what ever Hansung call it these days

cactus_farmer (original poster)

#14: Post by cactus_farmer (original poster) »

Doesn't the Ode even have stall protection? If it senses that the load is too high, the motor shuts off, no? With those protective measures in place, why is everyone worried about motor failure?

malling

#15: Post by malling replying to cactus_farmer »

Yes it has protection, so that definitely minimise the risk, however I'll still not recommend it and honestly I would not advise anyone going down this route you simply better of with a DF64 that can use exactly the same burrs for just a little more. I understand if you have it and just wait for a specific grinder you have ordered or are waiting for one of the new ones to get released like I am, but otherwise I strongly discourages it, the grinder isn't made to handle it, that's obvious for anyone who ever used it for light roasted espresso, secondly it's a bit of a faff using it for other then brewed truth be told.