Uneven burr wear due to vertical or slanted orientation

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
K7

#1: Post by K7 »

Jonk wrote:On my Mahlkönig Guatemala the stationary burr was noticeable more worn towards the lower section, so orientation can have an effect. But those burrs are at a 90 degree angle, most likely the differences due to the 10 degrees discussed here is quite minor.
This comment in another thread brought up an aspect that I never thought of before. It seems the lower part of the stationary burr could wear out much faster because it grinds more coffee than other parts of the burr set. Steeper angle and lower RPM would make it more uneven. This combined with light roasts which tend to wear out burrs faster, I could imagine reduction of burr lifespan by a big factor (10x ?) compared to the best-case scenario (horizontal orientation + medium/dark roasts).

Any thoughts?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Rotating the fixed burr is part of regular maintenance. In addition, in some grinders the fixed and rotating burrs can be flipped.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Jonk

#3: Post by Jonk »

Judging by how difficult it was to remove the burr carrier on that particular unit I doubt there had been any regular maintenance at all 8) just thousands of bags with darkly roasted beans.