Turin SD40 - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tinroofrusted
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by tinroofrusted »

I purchased the Turin SD40 from Espresso Outlet for $239 about three weeks back. $219 for the basic grinder plus $10 for a polished aluminum grinds cup and $10 for a wood cap on the bellows instead of plastic). Delivery was very fast, just a few days. I've been using it for about 2 weeks now. Here are my thoughts:
1. Very quiet. Much quieter than my prior grinder, a Starbucks EL60 burr grinder (made by Solis).
2. Modest footprint. Fits easily on my counter and looks pretty good I think.
3. Can grind for any style of coffee between espresso and French press. Adjustment between fine and coarse grind is easily done in a few seconds by turning a large knurled knob at the top of the cylinder. Ease of switching between espresso and drip is important to me because I often have to switch between fine and coarse several times a day. I would not want to be adjusting a Eureka Mignon grinder between coarse and fine grind more than once in a while.
4. Heavy and appears to be solidly built. Feels like it will last a long time (we'll see). I wish it had a bigger toggle type on-off switch instead of the mushy pressure switch they are using. I may try to modify this at some point.
5. Very happy with both the espresso and drip grind consistency. I'm not a real expert on grind size but judging by the results from my Breville Bambino standard espresso machine, the grinds appear to be pretty good. I'm sure it's not as nice as a really expensive grinder but good enough for my purposes.
6. One complaint is that the level of adjustment is not that great. It would be nice if I could adjust the grind more accurately. But still I am able to dial in espressos pretty well despite the lack of more precise adjustment of the grind size.

Overall this seems like a great way to get a good quality, versatile burr grinder for a relatively affordable price. Highly recommended.

coffeecoffee123

#22: Post by coffeecoffee123 »

I just received my SD40 and it's grinding well, however I need to calibrate it as the actual 0 is more like -7...Anyone have any tips on how to best re-zero it? If I can simply reposition the ring then that should make it easy, but I don't know how to best do that.

Edit: I take that back, if I dial anything below the 0 then I start to hear some abrasive sounds when the grinder is running, meaning I'm dialing too fine and could damage the grinder. So I think it's calibrated just fine actually.

BlkHeart

#23: Post by BlkHeart »

Hi, thank you for the idea, I was looking for a stepless mod.. so I made this, simple enough.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5788051

Its working fine at the moment
Regards

tinroofrusted
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by tinroofrusted replying to BlkHeart »

BlkHeart, could you give a bit of detail about how this is made/installed? I don't know much about 3D printed items. Can I order this from somewhere based on your plans? Also, is it really stepless or just more steps than the original design?

Thanks!

BlkHeart

#25: Post by BlkHeart »

This thing just give you more steps than the original, I wanted to do something stepless but it was getting complicated and I wanted something simple, I will not pursue that, I'm happy with this.

To install, unscrew the top burr, put the ring, change the original "stopper" and put the new one. You'll have 105 steps that more or less match the marks of the original, instead of 4 marks every step.

I don't sell this. You can ask somebody with a 3d printer to make it for you. Maybe the problem could be the quality of the print, not that you need much, but with 105 steps if the first layer is flattened to much to the build plate you'll have to manually cut the excess with a cutter.. and those are too much notches. Also I printed with 0.3mm width, not standard, but I think you can do with 0.4mm. I included the code, in case someone want to modify, for less or more steps.
tinroofrusted wrote:BlkHeart, could you give a bit of detail about how this is made/installed? I don't know much about 3D printed items. Can I order this from somewhere based on your plans? Also, is it really stepless or just more steps than the original design?

Thanks!

tinroofrusted
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by tinroofrusted »

Thanks very much for your reply. I'm a bit lost in the 3D printing world!

lugee

#27: Post by lugee »

BlkHeart wrote:This thing just give you more steps than the original, I wanted to do something stepless but it was getting complicated and I wanted something simple, I will not pursue that, I'm happy with this.

To install, unscrew the top burr, put the ring, change the original "stopper" and put the new one. You'll have 105 steps that more or less match the marks of the original, instead of 4 marks every step.

I don't sell this. You can ask somebody with a 3d printer to make it for you. Maybe the problem could be the quality of the print, not that you need much, but with 105 steps if the first layer is flattened to much to the build plate you'll have to manually cut the excess with a cutter.. and those are too much notches. Also I printed with 0.3mm width, not standard, but I think you can do with 0.4mm. I included the code, in case someone want to modify, for less or more steps.
Thanks. I was working on a design similar to this but abandoned it. Did you have to add a spacer to the outter burr so you could grind fine enough?

BlkHeart

#28: Post by BlkHeart »

lugee wrote:Thanks. I was working on a design similar to this but abandoned it. Did you have to add a spacer to the outter burr so you could grind fine enough?
Not at all, I can screw the burr all the way with the adapter, the thickness of the ring could be reduced but I don't need it. I'll upload the last mod, as the ring trend to slide down from the circular notches, I made it tighter and now it stays in place. Feel free to comment if you have any problem so I can help you.

Teenwolf74

#29: Post by Teenwolf74 »

I had a guy print this for me. I should get it today so I'll let everyone know how it works for me. Thanks for the effort to create this.

Chameleon0ff

#30: Post by Chameleon0ff »

Hello everybody! I made my own adjustment system for this undoubtedly excellent coffee grinder. Model for 3D printing, basic materials such as CoPET or PLA. Only 3 M3x20 screws, 2 M5x20 screws, 4 M3 washers and two M3 nuts (preferably with a nylon insert) are required for assembly. With this mod, you get micrometric adjustment and the ability to grind even under a cezve.But there is also the possibility to quickly change the grind thanks to the folding mechanism.
Since I live in Ukraine and want the fastest victory, I will provide a model for any donation to volunteer funds of Ukraine (such as Serhiy Prytula Foundation, Save Life, United24 and others). Who is interested in such an offer, write in private messages.