Turin SD40 - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jonk

#11: Post by Jonk »

There's pretty much always a discernable difference between two different burrs, also when comparing "average" or cheap flat/flat, flat/conical, conical/conical.

It's not unheard of that people claim differences between two new sets from the same manufacturer (that are supposed to be near identical, but in reality tolerances and QC will always add variation).

Sometimes it's smaller than what I've been able to taste, but I might still have been able to measure a noticeable difference in EY between say a broken in set and a slightly worn.

The short answer is that at least in my experience, the difference between traditional espresso burrs, flat/conical, is a lot smaller than people would have you believe. I think it's usually a lot more interesting to compare set A with set B than conical vs. flat.

CoffeeSeeker

#12: Post by CoffeeSeeker »

I actually really enjoy my SD40. I'm using it as a dedicated decaf espresso grinder at my small shop. For the 5-10 shots a week it's responsible for, it's done great. Before that, I used it for different brew methods and various roasts. It seemed to handle everything fine.

It's stepped, so be aware of that. There are also more indicators on the collar than there are steps, which is annoying. The steps seem to be fairly small and I haven't had any issues dialing in with any bean. Still, it would be nice if every indicator line corresponded with a physical step or notch.

The adjustments are repeatable though, so moving from one bean to another when I've been playing around has been painless.

It's slower and quieter than a Sette, but then most grinders are.

It has a small footprint.

I'm not at all unhappy with my purchase, but my expectations were pretty measured.

cactus_farmer

#13: Post by cactus_farmer »

CoffeeSeeker wrote:It's slower and quieter than a Sette, but then most grinders are.

It has a small footprint.

I'm not at all unhappy with my purchase, but my expectations were pretty measured.
Is the cup profile similar to the Sette? Or is it higher in clarity and thinner in body?

If the SD40 is basically a 'Sette that can do pour-over', I'd be very interested...

CoffeeSeeker

#14: Post by CoffeeSeeker replying to cactus_farmer »

I have not experienced a lack of body with the SD40 when compared to the Sette. Clarity is as good or better.

The SD40 is more solid and composed feeling than the Sette. There's always an element of 'sound and fury' when using the Baratza lol.
The SD40 lacks that entirely, which is probably a positive thing in most environments.

Emoto

#15: Post by Emoto »

Some of the dark roasts I buy require an extremely fine grind to make good shots. My Rocky is barely up to the task, although with aftermarket burrs, it goes pretty fine.

Does this SD40 go ultra fine? The price is appealing.

bryantchan

#16: Post by bryantchan »

https://shopee.ph/product/45363503/1509 ... 61319617.9

Has anyone come across the similar mod with the STL file?

The maker is apparently in Philippines and I couldn't get it from him being in Malaysia

Jeff
Team HB

#17: Post by Jeff »

Above link is for

Turin SD40/iTOP 40 - microstep mod

Image suggests two, 3D-printed rings

Description is:

Adjustment mod for Turin SD40/iTOP 40 grinder.
This mod doubles the number of steps/clicks of the grinder from 36clicks to 72clicks. This makes more precise adjustment for dialing your grinder.

Each set comes with:
1 - burr spacer
1 - microstep mod

syc

#18: Post by syc »

These kinds of things are actually pretty easy to design, so long as you have the dimensions handy and the right filament. Here's one that I made for my Gaggia MDF:

I did this version with 120 steps (instead of the stock 40 steps). The top surface fits into the grooves in the existing detent plate and the bottom side is up against the detent pins. I was going to do one of these for the SD40 when it arrives, but fell victim to FOMO and changed my order to the DF64E. I'm sure that someone else will design one and publish a free version as the SD40 gets more popular. The main thing to be aware of is that you should probably print the stepless flange in something like TPU which has higher surface friction. I was using clear PETG because it is unofficially food safe, but its actually a very slippery plastic and the grinding action causes the setting to shift, especially as you grind finer.

Happycoffee

#19: Post by Happycoffee »

Hey. Did you ever get one of these? I'm in Canada and would love one.

syc

#20: Post by syc replying to Happycoffee »

Are you asking me? Sorry, I ended up with a Niche. I decided I liked the big conical flavor and convenience.