Turin DF83 V2 Drifting Zero

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mlunsford27

#1: Post by mlunsford27 »

Folks,

I have had a DF83 V2 for about 3 months now and am using the SSP Cast Burrs with it for espresso. Overall pleased with the results. The one super annoying thing is that as I grinder for a few shots in the morning the grinder warms up and the zero will drift significantly, like by several grind settings, such that my shots will go from a flow rate of ~2 ml/s to like 3 or 4 ml/s without me changing the grind adjustment. The next morning after the grinder had had time to cool down and rest everything is reset and repeats again. has anyone had this issue and if so have you been able to resolve it?

My only thought to work around this is to let the grinder run for a few minutes to let it warm up before I start grinding for my first shot and perhaps this will allow the drift to occur before I start grinding my first shot and then my shots will be more consistent.

I have reached out to espresso outlet and they said I could send the grinder in but they doubt they will be able to reproduce the effect I am seeing and so likely can't do anything.

Also before anyone asks I am very confident the issue is my grinder and not espresso machine or pick prep because I can check the zero on the grinder and it is obvious that the zero is drifting as I grind each shot in the morning.

LObin

#2: Post by LObin »

Have you tried measuring the output of your grinder?
How's the retention at the declumper and inside the chute?
Is your declumper properly angled towards the inside of the chute?

It'd help eliminating the possibility of regrinding and grind exchange being the cause of your problem. Or even a bad connection of one of the plasma generator wire.

I'm not saying your 0 point is not shifting but you should only set or find the 0 point on a clean grinder. That's even more true with the SSP LS burrs that tend to have quite a bit of build-up on the burrs themselves.
LMWDP #592

mlunsford27 (original poster)

#3: Post by mlunsford27 (original poster) »

Thanks for the questions. Yes, I have measured output and it is not the issue, consistently within a tenth of a gram each time. I do have to clean the shoot out by stick something up it to knock out some grounds but that is after weeks of use that I get some noticeable buildup so it is not much each shot. I have angled the declumper outward.

mlunsford27 (original poster)

#4: Post by mlunsford27 (original poster) »

I test it again today by letting the grinder run for several minutes without grinding until it warmed up (I felt the sides of the grinder and they felt warm). Then I checked the zero/burr touch and it had moved by multiple grind settings from when I started the grinder cold. It seems that there is some thermal expansion happening as the grinder warms up that is affecting the vertical position and/or the alignment of the lower burr carrier. I think at this point what I will need to do to get consistent grind size between shots is to warm the grinder up before grinding for my first shot of the day.

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

If the grinder case feels warm to the touch, you've probably been running it too long. It isn't a shop grinder.

Mbonus

#6: Post by Mbonus »

Dumb question, but is the wave spring installed or working? Seems odd that it would shift that much

ricky64

#7: Post by ricky64 »

I've had mine (stock burrs) for about a month. I've probably ground 4-5 shots a day, and it is working reliably. Specifically, I haven't noted variation with successive grinds. I just checked, and the burrs just chirped at the zero mark. I believe the last time I adjusted was several days after receiving it, and after seasoning with several pounds of beans.

ricky64

#8: Post by ricky64 »

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by jwCrema »

ricky64 wrote:I've had mine (stock burrs) for about a month. I've probably ground 4-5 shots a day, and it is working reliably. Specifically, I haven't noted variation with successive grinds. I just checked, and the burrs just chirped at the zero mark. I believe the last time I adjusted was several days after receiving it, and after seasoning with several pounds of beans.
I can't quite tell if the grind is changing due to this drift, or the dial is moving so drift is causing zero to be different on the pointer? The point noted is stating successive grinds are consistent.

I drifting grind is not going to work for me on any grinder. The dial moving relative to the pointer is something I could live with.

borrik

#10: Post by borrik »

Just curious why df 83 suffering from this issue and other - not? Cheap aluminum for carriers with higher temperature expansion value?

All parts here made from aluminum, while in mazzers for example the dial is made from bronze.