Turin DF83 V2 Drifting Zero - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Spitz.me

#21: Post by Spitz.me »

Edit update - next day grinder is no longer acting up with shifting zero. Seems the rubber pads definitely need to be in the right spot. So, user error basically.

Curious if people having issues with zeroing have opened up the grinder to align or change burrs or for any reason and removed the top carrier. It does have 2 rubber pieces that hold the carrier in place and they're not the same. If one gives because you installed the wrong rubber piece in the wrong spot, that could shift your setting since the top carrier moves.

I think I was having a zeroing problem as well I opened it up and unless I'm seeing things they do seem like two different sizes pieces. I read this on the Reddit forums. After switching and reinstalling I found that coming back to the grinder hours later didn't make a difference. It ran the same. The zero wasn't different.

Having said that though. I do think my pointer shifts on the initial high torque. It's pretty incredible the torque.

Anyway just shot in the dark, and something that worked for me for one day so far.

I dunno I'm trying to figure out if I did something wrong putting everything back together at this point.
LMWDP #670

docpotterywood

#22: Post by docpotterywood »

The rubber pads are designed for controlling rotational movement of stationary burr while grinding, not to prevent burr gap drifting. My bet is that if you believe your DF83 is not having drifting zero, you may not have noticed it yet...

LObin

#23: Post by LObin »

The 2 rubber seats are identical. They do however have a narrow side and should be installed narrow side down.
LMWDP #592

Molina

#24: Post by Molina »

Hi all,

DF83 v2 owner here and been using it for 2 months now.

I might have noticed something similar a few weeks ago. I grind quite fine (around 5) with light roasted coffee, precision basket and EPF filters. My espresso machine suddenly wasn't able to make a shot under 60 seconds. Went coarser several times without success. Had to go much coarser for it to produce a shot under 30s. Turns out the chute was clogged and cleaning solved my issue.

Last week, I had the same issue. Since I didn't want to waste a lot of coffee I immediately checked my chute (without unscrewing the top) but there wasn't a lot of coffee buildup in it. Unscrewing the top and putting it back seemed to have solved it for now.

Strange thing is the fact that I was able to make espresso without any issue in the days before I had this issue for the 2nd time. This should indicate the I reassembled the machine correctly doesn't it? Correct placement of the spring and silicon holders, etc.

Feel like the 0 point drifted one day to the other and realigning the top might have solved it.

Spitz.me

#25: Post by Spitz.me »

docpotterywood wrote:The rubber pads are designed for controlling rotational movement of stationary burr while grinding, not to prevent burr gap drifting. My bet is that if you believe your DF83 is not having drifting zero, you may not have noticed it yet...
What? My grinder has been very consistent since I fixed how it seated with the pads.

So you're saying that I didn't actually fix anything by reseating my burr even though I have zero issues with it? You're saying I don't notice my zero drifting anymore even though it is?

I'm genuinely trying to understand what you mean.
LMWDP #670

MateoUK

#26: Post by MateoUK »

Interesting - I seem to be having the same issue but with a different grinder (Rocket Faustino - I posted about it here a couple of days ago: Rocket Faustino grinder consistently inconsistent)

Most of what I've read about grinder heat and flow has been related to cafes slowly having to adjust throughout the day when the grinder heats up but mine (and yours it seems) changes significantly after just a couple of grinds.

When you say you let the grinder run for several minutes without grinding, do you mean just turning the power on the grinder or are you grinding without beans? Did you find any other solutions in the end?