Turin DF83 V2 Drifting Zero - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by jwCrema »

Hard for me to comprehend heat being an issue in a home single dose machine.

Mazzer is oriented toward commercial equipment, their bronze is much less likely to cross thread

LObin

#12: Post by LObin »

I owned one of the early V1. Been an active member of the DF83 FB group. I don't believe there is a drifting issue.
Very few owners have reported this and every time, the cause and or solutions are more or less the same (grounds on the burrs, need to adjust while ON, adjust coarser first and then finer, true 0 point can only be found on a clean grinder, puck prep inconsistencies, etc.).
It's one thing to ask for support from the community and another to assume that every unit is afflicted by the same issue.
LMWDP #592

Frankie4

#13: Post by Frankie4 »

You might find it is actually the cast burrs. Had a similar issue when I installed 64mm cast burrs into a commercial grinder. Whenever we hit busier periods where we needed to grind back to back shots consistency went out the window. We ended up changing back to the Titanium coated burrs and problem was resolved.

Maybe try installing original burrs back in and see if the issue is still there.

Oskuk

#14: Post by Oskuk »

Well, that is interesting point! As we know the coated burrs still are same stuff, only coated.
Only thing I can guess is coating is so slippery that burrs are not heating?

Cranked

#15: Post by Cranked »

Just a thought...possibly your machine is heating up between shots and warmer brew water is causing the issue. What happens if you grind the two doses as usual, but pull the first shot with the second dose?

Mbonus

#16: Post by Mbonus »

Well I have been extensively testing a v1 to decide if I want to keep it. I have found no shot to shot disparity with the stock burrs. Keep in mind that I am only doing espresso so I am not making drastic grind changes once dialed in. I am using a medium roast bean, no spray, stir and tap to distribute, and then medium tamp. I have tested pulling three shots in a row on my lever machine and consistently get my desired volume to shot time. 18g in 36ml out in 25-28 sec

These are with the stock V1 burrs. I can't speak to the ssp-cast burrs. I do have some of the 83mm Boyt Burrs but have not installed them yet.

One thing I have noticed is I had to be very mindful about reassembly and resetting the zero point. On my unit the upper burr mount silicone cushion definitely has a specific installation orientation. One end is wider than the other. I could see if those were mounted out of orientation that would cause issues when changing grind size. I have reinstalled the "cushions" so the fatter end is at the top. I also installed them after mounting the upper burr carrier.

Hope this is helpful. It is possible the original poster has a defective unit or that cast burrs are misaligned. I am only sharing my personal experience.

Frankie4

#17: Post by Frankie4 »

Mbonus wrote:One thing I have noticed is I had to be very mindful about reassembly and resetting the zero point. On my unit the upper burr mount silicone cushion definitely has a specific installation orientation. One end is wider than the other. I could see if those were mounted out of orientation that would cause issues when changing grind size. I have reinstalled the "cushions" so the fatter end is at the top. I also installed them after mounting the upper burr carrier.

Hope this is helpful. It is possible the original poster has a defective unit or that cast burrs are misaligned. I am only sharing my personal experience.
You have raised an excellent point and something I didn't consider mentioning. Yes if the silicone cushions are installed incorrectly then that will impact grinder performance.

docpotterywood

#18: Post by docpotterywood »

@mlunsford27,

I have the exact same issue with my DF83.

Zero point drifts 5-6 points from cold start to hot. During a first grind of the day the zero point drifts such the grinder becomes effectively blocked and re-grinds, evidenced by a sudden increase in pop corning and no grinds coming out the chute for a few seconds - behavior that any grinder on a setting too fine would have, confirming a likely thermal expansion related drift in the position of the lower burr carrier.

To be clear to everyone, this is not the dial moving from vibration... this is also not due to grinds left over in the chamber causing a false zero point( or brief chirping when changing dial position)... and finally this is also not due to declumper causing clogging (as I have removed this, and feed beans in meticulously slowly).

In line with this logic, the grinder behaves much more consistent at upper end of running temperature. I've tried running it for a few minutes before use, however it has once gone too far and turned off through the safety switch (thankfully it has one...). Would you have thought you would need to temperature surf with a $1K grinder !?!?

People talk about 'the clog' plaguing the DF series, referring to the terrible declumper + chute + angulation of the grinder... I'd say this issue takes the cake for worst problem with this grinder. To hell with "the cable comes out the side"... and the rest of the repeated complaints video reviewers seem to rehash about it. DF 64 has same issue. https://www.reddit.com/r/espresso/comme ... ?rdt=62076

Don't get me wrong, when the planets align, and it works, it does make great espresso... but it is so far from perfect.

A good motor and a good burr-set are a hacker's delight, but it does not make a good home grinder.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#19: Post by jwCrema »

docpotterywood wrote: To be clear to everyone, this is not the dial moving from vibration... this is also not due to grinds left over in the chamber causing a false zero point( or brief chirping when changing dial position)... and finally this is also not due to declumper causing clogging (as I have removed this, and feed beans in meticulously slowly).
Trying understand the issue. There are many "this is not" observations and no "this is". Possible causes: the carrier is moving or the burr is not stable or has an issue of some kind.

I haven't seen a post of the carrier moving. Did you open the grinder for any reason?

[edit: read more posts]

CoffeeIsWeird

#20: Post by CoffeeIsWeird »

mlunsford27, do you access to any other burrs to check if he drifting issue is related to the cast ones?