Turin DF83

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
p4lxrich

#1: Post by p4lxrich »

so i'm really intrigue by this df83. i have the df64 w/ssp mp burrs and i do like it. but i'm kind'a getting tired of all the stuff i need to do to it to make it so that i love it. mainly the exit chute and cleaning. the df83 seems better internally. but no reviews yet or in hand. also not sure how loud the noise is. i wanted the p64 as everyone seems to be happy with it but of course can't even get it here in the usa (very difficult). then i was thinking about the zerno z1 if that is good out of the box. but no variable rpm either.

my thoughts are:
- i really want a variable rpm. should i just wait until p64 is readily or more readily available. does this really matter?
- is 83mm really better or noticeable. i'm actually just thinking about it since the internals seem better. but i dont' want this to be another df64 that i keep doing stuff too. kind'a getting tired of modifying stuff.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

I'd say the variable RPM is more like being able to run at a lower RPM.

Note the Mazzer Major 83mm flat burr size is not as 'big' as its nominal size might infer. Due to the Major burr's 49mm inner diameter, the Ditting/EG-1 80mm (40mm i.d.) burr is bigger in terms of burr area and (designs being equal) length of grind path. Burr size isn't everything, of course.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

GDM528

#3: Post by GDM528 »

Speaking of RPM... what's the RPM spec for the DF83?

cmin

#4: Post by cmin »

Mehhhh, I'd have to see but for me I wouldn't buy as have other grinders anyway. I still don't care for the Df64 I bought that I've tweaked, and quirky fixes, and alignment. Wonkiest single dose ever lol. I like a ceramic burr Vario aligned easily better over it any day and as far as single dosing, Vario blows it away, no bellow nothing. Flip that flap in the chute and you have a flawless single doser.

Maybe if the 83 had at least decent tolerances but not likely. Last thing I would want is to get it, and still have to do all the annoying stuff just to make it usable like the Df64 lol.

palica

#5: Post by palica »

p4lxrich wrote:my thoughts are:
- i really want a variable rpm. should i just wait until p64 is readily or more readily available. does this really matter?
- is 83mm really better or noticeable. i'm actually just thinking about it since the internals seem better. but i dont' want this to be another df64 that i keep doing stuff too. kind'a getting tired of modifying stuff.
DF64S with variable speed (100 to 1400 rpm) is coming:

https://www.espressooutlet.net/turin-df ... e-grinder/

p4lxrich (original poster)

#6: Post by p4lxrich (original poster) »

Yep that's the other option I was looking at. But not sure if that will have the same type of issues like with my df64 in modifications to make it good.

JonTheFisherman
Supporter

#7: Post by JonTheFisherman »

I took a leap of faith and pre-ordered it from turingrinders.com (same owner as espressooutlet). I had the DF64 for about 10 months - once you do the mods (which are really not difficult) you don't have to tinker with it anymore, so I'm not sure why a lot of people seem to have issues with that part.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by buckersss »

p4lxrich wrote:Yep that's the other option I was looking at. But not sure if that will have the same type of issues like with my df64 in modifications to make it good.
That DF64S, or whatever it will be called, appears like it's going to be a P64 clone. It's a 300W DC variable RPM motor. The DF64 has an AC 250W motor.

p4lxrich (original poster)

#9: Post by p4lxrich (original poster) »

I've been debating as well. I think my main gripe with df64 is still the chute. I've experimented a lot with different mods. Most have plus and minuses. And cleaning, with the spring system and rubber gommet or whatever it's called. It's not enough to block the grinds from coming out and onto the outer portion by the spring. And to remove and clean the chute taking the whole thing apart. So to me it's getting annoying. So now I'm hoping either df83 or df64 s will fix both those issues for me. Now it's just which one would I find of an upgrade. Rpm with df64 s or bigger burrs (I am getting the ssp upgrade if I do).

ltanzil

#10: Post by ltanzil »

I found this on youtube
apparently the DF64 maker made the big burr version of DF64 83mm

anybody has experience with this new grinder.

is it worthwhile to upgrade from 64mm to 83mm

fundamentally what is the flavor changes in using 83mm vs 64mm?