Turin DF83 - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SkyBlip

#81: Post by SkyBlip »

CRYING GRINDER:
..(originally posted to my Duetto thread :? )

[Total newbie here, but hope sharing my experience isn't fully useless.]

Just got the Turin DF83 v2 today, shipped direct from China. Boy Hodwy, that thing is loud. I'd tried to weed out any grinders with reported auditory annoyances or just loud ones, too. Disappointing, but otherwise I'm liking it, a lot.

VERSION CONFIRMATION: Crazy if I have to look internally for the plasma generator just to confirm it's a v2, but the boxes give no indication, not even a date of manufacture. I'll check the plaque on the bottom.

USER MANUAL: And even if self-explanatory, there ought to be a more thorough user manual in PDF, but can only find the Turin DF83 Manual that came in the box.

BURRS: Standard DF83 v2 burr set. On the commercial box it's listed as "Burr Material: Titanium: DLC: Other:". Ha, I don't belong to a reputable demographic. The site, by contrast, says
Stainless steel burrs are the standard design, but we have the option to upgrade to SSP HU burrs. The SSP HU Espresso burrs are best for darker / medium roasts and for more body.
Burrs were preset to 15, which 9lbs pressure couldn't penetrate 18g of dark roast (and a poorly heated grouphead). But a setting of 19 better. Assuming the setting may vary with each different dark roast bean/brand. I'm not going to do a wasteful ton of 'break-in' grinding, hoping to steer my OCD toward other things.

Confirming other illusory caveats I've read about, not sure if they were Turin DF83 v2 or v1, include these that do seem apparent (to a novice with nothing to compare it to) on my DF83 v2:
  • Fair amount of residual single-dose POST GRIND CHAFF having floated up back toward the bellows; but it's nothing, and like all of this bulleted list, I wouldn't have given it a second thought if not for prior research. Not so much fines of ground coffee as chaff flakes, so may be the beans used. But my scale (iffy condition), showed 18g in/18g out; but then in the next grind it showed 18g in/20g out, haha. Actually I can't fit 18g + PF screen disc into the grouphead
  • The DIAL STICKER is poorly conceived for seeing clearly your setting, as well as for visually remembering it.
  • There seems to be some STATIC CLING (Iv'e nothing to compare it too, coming from a krups appliance propeller blade grinder)
  • Enough grounds RETENTION in the chute &/or elsewhere that I takes 4-6 bellows slams to recover the lost souls.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#82: Post by buckersss »

malling wrote:Haha I don't think so, to get 98mm burr you need one to provide said burrs, the major makers for that are Mahlkönig/Ditting, Compak and SSP as third part but all are expensive from all 3 makers. This would go against their way of making it affordable. Also I doubt any of those would even consider supplying them with said burrs and it would require them to get another supplier then Italmill that ony do up to 84mm burrs.

98mm is just exclusive and expensive you would have to get some low quality unreliable Chinese made ones and it's so far not the road they have chosen

DIP has 100mm burrs much cheaper than 98mm I believe.

They are four hole, not three hole though.

You make a good point about the 98mm chinese burrs though. I could see that becoming the basis for a DF98

EvanOz85

#83: Post by EvanOz85 »

malling wrote:I don't think it's suitable for brewed, the mentioned problem with regrinding and grinds buildup make it ill suited for the purpose also the dial ain't ideal for it... Cast would be much in the same ballpark as the Sculpture 078 on KS soon indiegogo. Or just wait for something else comes along we are bound to see more product as the market is on the rise.
Definitely false. I have this grinder at my girlfriend's house, and use it for both filter and espresso with zero issues. I cut the declumper out, and have SSP HU burrs installed. I don't experience the clogging issues others have had. I have a set of the SSP Lab Sweet types on the way and I do have high hopes for them.

malling

#84: Post by malling replying to EvanOz85 »

If other have said issues then it is clearly a problem, whether or not you as an individual experience said issues depend as always on local conditions.. issue are not necessarily making it self felt in all cases. We don't use our gear at same humidity, we don't use the same coffee, some even use other burrs etc. all are going to influence if said issue show up and to what degree.

The fact you had to remove it actually show there is an issue or you would not have to.

tompoland

#85: Post by tompoland »

A local roastery and cafe are using the DF83 in their commercial environment and discovered that they had more clogging of the chute without the decplumper. Which makes sense: the job of the declumper is to ... declump.

But the difference may be that they are using the grinder for higher volumes than with home use.
A little obsessed.

ziggomatic

#86: Post by ziggomatic »

EvanOz85 wrote:Definitely false. I have this grinder at my girlfriend's house, and use it for both filter and espresso with zero issues. I cut the declumper out, and have SSP HU burrs installed. I don't experience the clogging issues others have had. I have a set of the SSP Lab Sweet types on the way and I do have high hopes for them.
Where did you end up ordering the 83mm Lab Sweet burrs from?

EvanOz85

#87: Post by EvanOz85 »

From the Buy/Sell forum here.

EvanOz85

#88: Post by EvanOz85 »

malling wrote:The fact you had to remove it actually show there is an issue or you would not have to.
Everyone should cut the declumper out, silly. That's not an "issue". I think the people having issues may just have issues themselves. Use RDT sensibly and there won't be clogging. The people having clogging in their chutes are doing things WRONG. My grinder/environment/magical-aura/Zodiac is not special. It's just people don't know what they're doing.

The DF83 does filter fine. It does espresso fine. This isn't rocket science. A few people screw things up and BAM OMG THIS GRINDER IS SO FLAWED (even though ya don't even own it).

ziggomatic

#89: Post by ziggomatic »

I agree I have had zero issues with clogging my DF83 v2. Few puffs of the bellows after grinding and all remaining fines are cleared right out (not a lot to clear I might add). This has been for pour-over and espresso use.

malling

#90: Post by malling »

EvanOz85 wrote:Everyone should cut the declumper out, silly. That's not an "issue". I think the people having issues may just have issues themselves. Use RDT sensibly and there won't be clogging. The people having clogging in their chutes are doing things WRONG. My grinder/environment/magical-aura/Zodiac is not special. It's just people don't know what they're doing.

The DF83 does filter fine. It does espresso fine. This isn't rocket science. A few people screw things up and BAM OMG THIS GRINDER IS SO FLAWED (even though ya don't even own it).
If a product needs to be modded then there is an issue, it really shouldn't be a debate. No issues = no modding needed, meaning as close as flawless as possible. Whether an individual find minor modding acceptable for price is really another thing but it doesn't make it flawless or without issues, as that's the usual reason for mods to fix things.

I'm out, its pointless going on.