Turin DF83 - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Primacog

#61: Post by Primacog »

Here is a downloadable file that was done by a Nurri Leva owner for a df83 portafilter holder mod that will fit the portafilter of a Nurri.

https://www.printables.com/model/398504 ... ter-holder
LMWDP #729

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#62: Post by buckersss »

malling wrote:The problem with the picture on SSP sales sites is it hasn't been throughout updates for years. Some burrs has seen some modifications since those pictures where taken, the names has been changed and burrs he makes aren't even mentioned other then on the purchase list, and often these don't correspond to the start page showing the burrs. I'll generally recommend contacting Hansung to be absolutely clear you actually get what you want.
Curious if anyone got an answer to this question. Mikkel you are right, there were various versions of the 75mm SSP burrs as an example. I counted at least two, if not three. I wonder if those 83mm are an earlier incarnation. If not, I'll be grabbing a pair to try - the geometry looks nice. Still showing as out of stock.

Boyts 83mm look nice. I'm assuming these are after market burrs with the same geometry as the Mazzers, but I didn't look hard enough and I didn't ask Pat.

https://boytenterprises.com/collections ... major-plus

LObin

#63: Post by LObin replying to buckersss »

The Boyt burrs look so similar to the stock Italmill, I'm not sure they would make a noticeable difference.
As Joe Kolb said in the DF83 FB group, Italmill made some burrs for Mazzer so it's not surprising the Mazzer Major espresso (A or B) are so similar to the Italmill 83mm. Most of the folks that have tried similar burr sets like the Ceado Opal don't report major result differences vs the stock DF83 burrs.
The most noticably different espresso burr set when comparing geometry is the 83mm HU.
I totally agree with Lance Hedrick comments about the 83mm HU and how better they are vs the 64mm HU. Better clarity and sweetness while still maintaining a good texture. Very versatile burr set.

However, I do sometime miss the Italmill's, especially when making lattes with medium-dark, more traditional roasts... But I'm pulling some really amazing espresso since I installed the HU so there's no reason to change.

83mm Cast should also be released very soon (they were supposed to be available by the end of March 23).
LMWDP #592

syc

#64: Post by syc »

buckersss wrote:Boyts 83mm look nice. I'm assuming these are after market burrs with the same geometry as the Mazzers, but I didn't look hard enough and I didn't ask Pat.

https://boytenterprises.com/collections ... major-plus
I was curious and asked him when I came across them. Identical to the standard Mazzer burrs, but made from Cryo treated D2 tool steel, so they will hold their sharpness for much longer than standard burrs.

jeetS

#65: Post by jeetS »

What grind setting are y'all using for espresso?
I got my v2 yesterday. Coming from a Breville smart grinder.

Ground a couple lbs of stale beans to break it in then pulled shots at 20, 17, 14, 12, and 11.
The first three were very fast. The last two were in the range but im getting a lot of channeling with my BBE even with serious WDT etc. I need to dial the pressure back i think the df8 is less forgiving than the smart grinder lol.

Interestingly enough the wife tried pulling a shot this morning at 11 and it choked the machine...nothing came out... I wonder if the slight warmth from the grinder grinding the couple pounds effected the setting and now that its cooled off its grinding finer than it was when warm.

Going to play aroud with the BBE this afternoon and see if I can get it dialed in.

Primacog

#66: Post by Primacog »

How does the df83 with ssp hu burrs compare with the lagom p100 or any of the other titan flat burr grinders?
LMWDP #729

Kevin_C
Supporter ♡

#67: Post by Kevin_C »

Frankie4 wrote:For anyone wondering if the DF83 is capable of grinding a large amount of coffee I think this video might answer the question.

video
I tried grinding a lb of coffee but it clogged completely. That was a week ago, I have clogged completely twice more under normal use for espresso shots, don't know what I am doing wrong. I was hoping that seasoning would reduce the channeling and spitting of the shots. The espresso shots are really great with this grinder btw, more clarity than my Vario.

Frankie4

#68: Post by Frankie4 »

What grind setting were you at? Also what was the roast level of the coffee? Only issue that I've come across with clogging was going down to like a turkish grind setting.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#69: Post by buckersss »

Kevin_C wrote:I tried grinding a lb of coffee but it clogged completely. That was a week ago, I have clogged completely twice more under normal use for espresso shots, don't know what I am doing wrong. I was hoping that seasoning would reduce the channeling and spitting of the shots. The espresso shots are really great with this grinder btw, more clarity than my Vario.
Do you have a declumper installed?

Kevin_C
Supporter ♡

#70: Post by Kevin_C »

I have the declumper installed from factory. I have been grinding for espresso, usually between 15-20 on the dial. Just clogged today again. This is frustrating. This is the version 2.