Turin DF83 - Page 13

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Molina

#121: Post by Molina »

Removed the declumper with great results. definitely need to bellow but when I do I only lose around 0.1-0.2.

Inconsistency is a thing though. Upgraded to SSP Lab Sweets and shots range from 20s to low 30 on the same grind setting. Puck prep is solid (RDT, EPF filter, Weber Unibasket, WDT, Puck screen). First shot is mostly okay, flow rate increases on the 2nd shot and up.

Molina

#122: Post by Molina »

Okay, coming back to my last post. Removing the declumper wasn't a good idea I think. I added the declumper again after noticing a lot of retention in the chute.

What did help was WDTing much more. 4 sprays with 16g in. My last 3 shots had 0.0 retention with the stock declumper. Doing this after seeing James' new video. To my surprise I was also able to grind much finer.

Question. How do you people align the burrs on this grinder? You don't have the full surface to place shims on and this is the best I was able to get after hours of trial and error.

mlunsford27

#123: Post by mlunsford27 replying to Molina »

Instead of removing the declumper, I have seen good results with bending the flap upwards/outwards so that it just doesn't get in the way of grinds exiting the grind chamber as much. I think this helps grinds exit the chamber and may reduce some retention in the chute.

I am also finding I get some retention in the shoot which is annoying. I try occasionally sticking something like a brush up the chute and jiggling it around to try and dislodge as much of this as possible.

Also, I have the SSP Cast burrs as well and I did shim them till they have almost a clean wipe.

mlunsford27

#124: Post by mlunsford27 »

Does anyone know how much each number on the grind adjustment dial corresponds to in terms of burr gap? So moving from 1 to 2 = xxx microns of increased burr gap.

mlunsford27

#125: Post by mlunsford27 »

Actually I did a Google search and I think I have the answer. So I saw on Reddit someone posted that the thread pitch on a DF83 means 1 rotation is 1 mm of burr movement or 1000 microns. The numbers on a DF83 grind indicator go up to 90 but cover only 3/4 of the grinder so if they went all the way around they would go up to 120. 1000 / 120 = 8.33. So 8.33 microns per marking on the grind indicator.

Let me know if y'all have any other info on this.