Turin DF64V Grinder - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TOTK_

#51: Post by TOTK_ »

Sproyo wrote:Yes 110v. Overall it's a nice budget grinder with some premiumish features, basically a nicer looking and sounding df64 that doesn't require any mods.

I don't do comparative tasting so I don't have comments on the stock dlc burrs other than they make good espresso.

Burrs came factory aligned, but I found removing their shims actually improved alignment.

I really like the magnetic chute, easy to clack them to get grinds out. I don't rdt because I have opinions that static is beneficial for wdt. Because of that there is a small amount of mess from using it.

I would like finer grind adjustment, but it's still workable. It will easily stall at 600rpm, I keep it at 1200rpm. It sorta seems that rpm can be used as a stand in for micro grind adjustments but I'm not sure yet.

The brushless motor is extremely quiet, the grinding noise is high pitched and annoying. The cord is fixed to the machine, there is no on/off indication, and the rpm light is always on.

I don't like the catch cup design. You can't fit a scale underneath because the baseplate is awkward. The cup itself isn't what is pictured in marketing, it's similar to the lagom mini cup. For some reason it has an inlaid foam pad that does nothing.
I echo this.

However, I've had mine stall a couple of times now at 900rpm when I dump into too many beans at once. I have to slowly feed in the beans in order to avoid this.

The grinding noise is my biggest gripe. Coming from a Niche Zero the sound really gets on my nerves .

Frankie4

#52: Post by Frankie4 replying to TOTK_ »

Are you hot loading the beans or do you load them in then turn on the grinder? Personally I hot load all the time. No issues with stalling other than 1 time at 600 rpm on a very light roast. Thank being said it is recommended for espresso to set it at 1000 RPM and above. Lower RPM is really for coarser grinds.

I have just done some testing at a number of different speeds then tasted and took TDS readings. Will be putting a video up on YT in the next couple of days.

Advertisement
Sproyo

#53: Post by Sproyo »

I had consistent stalls on a particularly tough medium roast at 900 rpm, I also start the motor before adding beans. I think there's just an overly cautious failsafe being tripped.

TOTK_

#54: Post by TOTK_ »

Frankie4 wrote:Are you hot loading the beans or do you load them in then turn on the grinder? Personally I hot load all the time. No issues with stalling other than 1 time at 600 rpm on a very light roast. Thank being said it is recommended for espresso to set it at 1000 RPM and above. Lower RPM is really for coarser grinds.

I have just done some testing at a number of different speeds then tasted and took TDS readings. Will be putting a video up on YT in the next couple of days.
Yup I am doing a hot start. I haven't tried anything other than a light roast, since that's my preference, but every time I've dumped more than a few beans at a time it stalls. I'm just more cautious now when I'm feeding the beans in.

LObin

#55: Post by LObin »

Sproyo wrote:Joe and Barret from espresso outlet are very active on the df64v Facebook group. Their thoughts are that low rpm's are for filter and higher for espresso. No indication that the failsafe can be adjusted. They care very much about, at least the appearance of, customer satisfaction. I haven't had issues so I don't know how they would handle defective units.

Also agree that at this point haphazardly guessing about manufacturing problems comes with all the problems of small sample statistics, better to wait for more data.
I know they've been claiming this but it's still the user's choice to experiment with different RPM's which is the main sell point of the model. It's in the name afterall.
Lagom P64 also uses a 300W BLDC motor and RPM goes as low as 300.
I mean even the Scupltor 064S at 150W doesn't seem to stall as much on low RPM, from the initial reviews.
I don't know if there's differences in gear reduction vs the Lagom but I feel like this needs to be addressed now since it's only the first release or V1 version.
If I buy the DF64Variable RPM grinder, I'm expecting to be able to use the full RPM range, not just the higher settings. Add to this the fact that some users report no stalling whatsoever, even with very light and dense beans, while others experience frequent stalls even at mid RPM's with medium roasts...

I don't know if this would be enough to warrant a replacement unit since again, it's the first release version but I feel like it should be addressed.
LMWDP #592

Sproyo

#56: Post by Sproyo »

For me the variable rpm had no impact on my purchase, I just wanted a nicer looking df64 without any of the reported problems. I think it's likely that variable rpm on flat burrs offer nothing not already achievable through usual dialing in methods. I think it's totally fair to expect to be able to use any rpm on any bean/grind size, it's sh**ty when things like that aren't clearly communicated.

IMO you're reading much too into the apparent variability between machines. When I was really into hand grinding I noticed some roasters had mediums that were much harder to grind than light roasts from another roaster. There's so much variability in beans that I think you're trying to find patterns in noise.

LObin

#57: Post by LObin replying to Sproyo »

Maybe I am, Indeed. But remember how the DF83 V2 came to have an Ion generator...
Everyone was signing praises until Lance Hedrick showed in his review how bad the declumper and chute design really was. He went declumperfree and eventually many users started doing the same. There were even a few broken chutes and chute covers at that point.

If the chute retention and declumper issues were not discussed, can we say for sure there would be a V2 addressing this problematic...

I'm saying this and I'm saying nothing ;)
LMWDP #592

Advertisement
Sproyo

#58: Post by Sproyo »

In a roundabout way I'm happy for the df83 chute issues. That probably influenced the magnetic chute which is becoming my favorite detail of the machine.

Giampiero

#59: Post by Giampiero »

Just my own speculation.
Maybe it's only a stock burr set too aggressive that make stall the motor?

Frankie4

#60: Post by Frankie4 »

LObin wrote:If the chute retention and declumper issues were not discussed, can we say for sure there would be a V2 addressing this problematic...

I'm saying this and I'm saying nothing ;)
Yes we can. Work on the V2 was happening well before Lance's review came out.