Turin DF64V Grinder - Page 24

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tompoland

#231: Post by tompoland »

It whines. Kind of what it does. It may have settled down on mine or I may have become used to it. Still whines though :roll:
A little obsessed.

KatBos
Supporter ♡

#232: Post by KatBos »

I apologize in advance if this post has been answered or is in the wrong thread (I'm new to the forum). I am considering the DF64v (US 120V version), and was wondering if anyone might explain why the P64 with a very similar motor doesn't seem to stall but the DF64v does. I believe they are both 300 watt BDCM's with variable rpm and all things being equal (same burrs, same rpms, same beans), why would one stall but not the other?

Jeff
Team HB

#233: Post by Jeff »

Watts means little between efficiency of the motor and that it is torque that is required to prevent stalling, not power.

KatBos
Supporter ♡

#234: Post by KatBos »

Does that mean that the p64 can generate greater torque at the same rpm? Are there any stats out there?

LObin

#235: Post by LObin replying to KatBos »

It's pretty clear that the Lagom 300w motor and/or mechanical design creates more power/torque since stalling is a non issue.
It's also a better construction and has tighter tolerances, which often means better alignment and quality control.

Is it worth 3 times the price to you...? That's a question only you can answer.

I personally have very little complaints about the DF64V. While I'd like to be able to set it to 600 RPM, that's a concession I made before deciding to buy one.

I have it set to 900 RPM (mostly use 900-1200) and use the Mizen OM burrs. Have tried all 64mm burrs except the GG burrs. The stock SLC are pretty decent tbh. Better than 64mm HU imo.
I love the footprint, Lagom style burr chamber and grind adjustment, low retention, super quiet motor (once you change the DLC's) and awesome magnetic chute.

Would I change it for P64? Of course I would (if I had money burning a hole in my pocket). But I know that I'm able to get
almost identical results at a fraction of the price, and that matters to me.

Not being able to use 600-700 rpm is a small concession for me. It's a deal breaker for others.
LMWDP #592

KatBos
Supporter ♡

#236: Post by KatBos »

Thank you for your honest straightforward reply. I am in the same boat and cannot afford the p64 (or justify the cost to myself),but love the features of the DF64v. I would be using it almost exclusively for espresso and mosly light roasts although certainly not nordic. I do want the ability to play with variable rpm's as that is an interesting and relatively new aspect to the whole process which I'd like to explore.

LObin

#237: Post by LObin replying to KatBos »

The impact of RPM on flat burrs is still unclear. Jonathan Gagné found that only a few burrs he tested have displayed a different particle distribution (or shape I'm not sure) and not just a "drift" in the PD curve.
While I have had the feeling that lowering the RPM made an impact on a pull, I haven't been able to confirm it. If it makes a difference with my current Omni OM, it's definitely a minor difference. I'd struggle to tell the low rpm from the mid rpm in a blind test.

One thing going to a 64mm grinder has helped me with is gaining experience from the different burr profiles and learning more through this process, about my personal taste and preferences.
LMWDP #592
★ Helpful

robotuser

#238: Post by robotuser »

I've been researching DF64V.

The only other contender is Niche Zero. That said, I understand the NZ probably pales in taste vs. the DF64V especially with burr upgrades.

My concern is noise.

I know people have mentioned the DF64V with stock (?) burrs can be quite a bit higher-pitched than the pleasant sounds of NZ. Is it very annoying? (I've searched for "noise" in this thread and saw: Turin DF64V Grinder)

What about DF64V + Lab Sweet v3 (cast v3) burrs? Does that reduce the pitch/noise compared to stock? What about compared to NZ?

Thank you!

LObin

#239: Post by LObin replying to robotuser »

Yes the DLC burrs have quite a high pitch and turn what maybe the quietest grinder out there into a bit of a shrieker.
SSP MP tend to do the same.

I've had the CV2 and Mizen OM in my DF64V and they sound MUCH better. Quieter and lower. You can actually hold a normal conversation during grinding ;)

I'd assume the CV3 are no different.

I always enjoyed the low and soothing sound of the Niche Zero. I do however prefer the cup profile of cast burrs, especially when pulling med to med-light. I also much prefer the 64V design. Total retention is lower and so is grind exchange (likely). The magnetic chute makes it one of the easiest grinder to clean. Burr chamber doesn't retain much coffee so there's less need to open and clean.
The NZ is however easier to dial-in and has a greater range vs any Cast burrs.
LMWDP #592

robotuser

#240: Post by robotuser »

Thank you for sharing that! Do you remember if Cv2 is "close" to NZ's grinding noise, similar ballparks?

Due to the noise, if I get this grinder I may have to skip the stock -> SSP Cv3 upgrade and directly get the SSP Cv3 :shock: