Turin DF64V Grinder - Page 15

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Kran

#141: Post by Kran »

I was curious about this so I tried on my grinder. Currently running SSP cast burrs for espresso, 600rpm cold start, grind setting 15 on the dial.

Then went coarser by 10 at a time, ground at the coarse setting and then tried to adjust back to espresso at 15. Through setting 60 I had no problems going back to espresso setting, even without the motor running. At 90 i felt resistance adjusting back to espresso setting without the motor on. But with motor running I had no issue going back to 15.

90 was way coarser then I would use for my pourovers. So at least on my unit, no issues back and forth with the SSP burrs.

LObin

#142: Post by LObin »

boren wrote:Yes, the motor is running, though in a single-dose grinder this should not be required. Even in many on-demand grinders if you grind through the beans you can adjust grind size without having to run the motor and there's no resistance, just like with a clean grinder.
:shock: You HAVE to run a motor every time you make an adjustment finer on a flat burr, on-demand grinder. There will always be fines and bits of coffee left in-between the burrs. Adjusting finer will only create pressure on the residual grounds. If then bottom burr isn't spinning, where will those residual grounds go? In these conditions, even a Mazzer will clog.
From my experience, it's pretty much always recommended to run a single-dosing grinder when adjusting finer. Especially when going from brew to espresso. Even more true with a flat burr grinder.

The Niche Zero, which is often referred to as the king of workflow, needs incremental adjustments and ON/OFF cycles to go back from brew to espresso. Sometimes, I move the dial in the opposite direction in order to keep adjusting finer.
I'm pretty certain this method would work on the DF64V as well.
LMWDP #592

boren

#143: Post by boren »

LObin wrote::shock: You HAVE to run a motor every time you make an adjustment finer on a flat burr, on-demand grinder. There will always be fines and bits of coffee left in-between the burrs.
This has not been my experience with various on-demand grinders. Once you grind through all the beans, the adjustment ring can move freely, with no resistance whatsoever. There's no noticeable difference from a grinder that has just been cleaned. Same thing of course for most single-dose grinders, but that's expected.

HouseStark

#144: Post by HouseStark »

Just because you don't feel any resistance doesn't mean there aren't fines in between the burrs. I always run it when adjusting.

boren

#145: Post by boren »

Fines are basically dust. If you're concerned about a tiny amount of dust stressing the grinder, do what you need to relieve that stress.

TobiasFunke

#146: Post by TobiasFunke »

Hi there. I'm very tempted towards getting this grinder, however I keep reading in reddit issues with stalling at low (less than 1000) rpm. Apparently newer units have this new board. Is this still the case? Any other issues? My purpose would be pour over with ssp mp

DaveC

#147: Post by DaveC »

boren wrote:This has not been my experience with various on-demand grinders. Once you grind through all the beans, the adjustment ring can move freely, with no resistance whatsoever. There's no noticeable difference from a grinder that has just been cleaned. Same thing of course for most single-dose grinders, but that's expected.
I have to say this is absolutely not my experience. With all grinders I have ever used (and I've used a lot), on demand, hopper based modified, low retention "no retention", there is increased resistance when going from a much coarser grind back to espresso. So invariably it's done with the motor running, reducing strain on the mechanism and making it easier. Where this can become an issue is with any grinder and a full hopper of beans. In reality though people rarely move said grinder from espresso to filter and back espresso using the same beans in the hopper. Usually they are left with just minor adjustments.

I probably have more grinders on my bench currently in active service than most people have ever used

boren

#148: Post by boren »

Please read what I actually wrote. I'm not saying there's no resistance with beans in the grinder and in between the burrs, but after all beans have been ground. You can hear when there's nothing left to grind. With all grinders. At that point, there's no resistance to adjusting to a finer grind size even if the motor is not running. Do you disagree?

DaveC

#149: Post by DaveC »

Yes

malling

#150: Post by malling »

boren wrote:Please read what I actually wrote. I'm not saying there's no resistance with beans in the grinder and in between the burrs, but after all beans have been ground. You can hear when there's nothing left to grind. With all grinders. At that point, there's no resistance to adjusting to a finer grind size even if the motor is not running. Do you disagree?
There is resistance while you think you might clean all the grinds, your not really in reality, run a dose and then open the grinder to look for yourself, it's a rather common thing for bean fragment to get stuck on the burr etc.