Turin DF64V Disappointment - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Frankie4

#51: Post by Frankie4 »

Happy to disclose and given most if not all my posts are related to the DF grinders I think it's obvious that I am affiliated with the distribution of the DF grinders in Australia.

HB
Admin

#52: Post by HB »

Frankie4 wrote:Happy to disclose and given most if not all my posts are related to the DF grinders I think it's obvious that I am affiliated with the distribution of the DF grinders in Australia.
It wasn't obvious to me until I reviewed your post history. I am guessing https://www.frankiesbeans.com.au/ since it isn't listed in your profile under "Website"? In any case, please read Vendor participation in the forums:
Guidelines for productive online discussion wrote:...if you or the company you work for sells the product/service being discussed in a thread, you are welcome to correct factual errors, but should avoid posting opinions, product/service offerings, or critiques of competitive products. The same applies when a competitor's product or service is being discussed in a thread, i.e., you should refrain from offering opinions, alternative product/service offerings, or critiques. Moderators reserve the right to edit statements or delete posts that violate this policy.
Dan Kehn

Makanmata (original poster)

#53: Post by Makanmata (original poster) »

LObin wrote:This is Joe Kolbs comment on FB regarding the board issues a few of the early DF64V had... Get in touch with him 8)
That is indeed very kind and upstanding of Joe but I don't expect that to be necessary thanks to my credit card company's reversal of the charges and my expectation that they'll continue to stand by me given DF64's failure to deliver a functional machine as promised, but also because as I had mentioned DF64 had offered - after much waiting - to send me the parts so that I could repair the machine myself (if this is really what's wrong with it). As I had mentioned though, I'm not interested in repairing their broken machine or keeping it at this point given what I know about their quality control generally which might mean other hidden problems are lurking, and I don't want to pay for a new machine and get a reconditioned one.

I don't doubt Joe's opinion that its just a few machines effected, but I can't help but notice that my machine is Serial Number 62 (or something like that) so "a few" machines with problems represents a rather major portion of the production run. Most Chinese factories follow a "Six Sigma" quality control of 3.4 defects per million, but "a few" defects in a tiny production run like this seems more like 3.4 defects per 100.

LObin

#54: Post by LObin »

In any case we have our answer. A few defective boards on the first run that also has been referred to as pre-production run.
New boards going in for the next production run.
Local distributors like Espresso Outlet simply replace the units with faulty boards with brand new units.
It's possible that foreign distributers have different return policies hence why buying locally is usually better.

Mystery solved.

No need to speculate further more.
LMWDP #592

Frankie4

#55: Post by Frankie4 »

Well said.

Sproyo

#56: Post by Sproyo »

Frankie4 wrote: My point is Makanmata tried to represent it as a wide spread issue when Joe's comments highlights it was not many units that were impacted.
If it were not a widespread issue why is the second batch of shipments being delayed to install new boards? It seems like you're really going beyond healthy skepticism and instead just saying whatever you can to defend df products. I say this as a df64v owner with no complaints on my unit.

Frankie4

#57: Post by Frankie4 replying to Sproyo »

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

HB
Admin

#58: Post by HB replying to Frankie4 »

Readers are advised to observe that you have a financial interest in this discussion and weigh your comments accordingly.
Dan Kehn
★ Helpful

#59: Post by Makanmata (original poster) »

LObin wrote:In any case we have our answer. A few defective boards on the first run that also has been referred to as pre-production run.
New boards going in for the next production run.
Local distributors like Espresso Outlet simply replace the units with faulty boards with brand new units.
It's possible that foreign distributers have different return policies hence why buying locally is usually better.

Mystery solved.

No need to speculate further more.
It's all so simple. Release units into the world with a characteristic and inherent defect (whoops!) and when consumers get machines that don't work call your production run a "pre-production run," recondition them with new working boards, and resell them as new without disclosure of the problem and hoping nobody notices that they're receiving reconditioned machines from a "pre-production run," and all is fine (assuming that there are no other mistakes in this "pre-production run"). Nothing to see here.

#60: Post by Makanmata (original poster) »

b0j wrote:They're brushless motors, so even the 180w is kinda overkill for an at home grinder, and the 078s has a 400w motor. I think the 078s definitely blows this out of the water, and perhaps the 064s itself does.
There are many factors that contribute to the "power" of a motor, and wattage only shows its maximum power input, but nothing else. What grinds your beans is not the power input of the machine, but the torque that turns the burrs, and this is a completely separate issue. The DF64V supposedly has a 300w rating, while my Mazzer Mini has only 250w rating, but the torque created by the DF64V makes it seem like a toy next to the power created by the superior motor of the Mazzer Mini. Don't be fooled into looking at the power rating, because if the motor can't utilize it for turning the current into force, it has no meaning.