Turin DF64V Disappointment - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LObin

#41: Post by LObin »

Makanmata wrote:I think for most people common sense says that a business can't steal your money by delivering defective goods and tell you that you're out of luck and have to accept that just because it puts fine print on its website absolving themselves of everything. But what these people don't understand is that there is no such thing as a "no returns policy."

Firstly, such a policy is broadly illegal, and violates the Uniform Commercial Code, warranty laws, and Consumer Protection Laws of every state in the USA, but also the Consumer Protection and Fair Trading Act of Singapore (another reason I was so comfortable buying this grinder from Singapore). I doubt that many countries have different laws.

But even if there were no laws, the grinder was bought with a credit card, and D64 accepted the credit card for payment, and the Mastercard network which runs that system includes a requirement for merchants that conforming goods or services actually be delivered, and that the bank may charge the merchant back for goods not delivered or services not provided as promised. Unlike the fine print in a contract or website, the credit card is a real contract and an easily enforceable one.

So nobody should be bullied and made to believe that any contract is so one sided that a consumer can pay for new goods but that the merchant doesn't need to deliver them. Also, if you see something you want to buy from overseas, you shouldn't consider it a dangerous transaction and the insurance you're paying to buy it locally might be worth less than you think. Just for example, I bought my Decent espresso machine from Hong Kong, and that company is as on top of their obligations and responsive to their consumers as any company I've ever dealt with.
This is Joe Kolbs comment on FB regarding the board issues a few of the early DF64V had:
"There were a few units using a pre production control boards that had an issue with the control board safety reset. Not many and all new units and preorders are getting new board. Most of the pre production were the ones sent to reviewers"

In addition, these are his own words about your situation specifically: " yeah that's the problem with buying overseas. Anyone that has had the issue we are taking back and sending another. Maybe df64 coffee will do that im not sure, but alternative is they send a relatively easy to change control board. Tell that hb user I'll send them a board if df64 won't. They can even send to me and I'll switch the board"

Get in touch with him 8)
LMWDP #592

LObin

#42: Post by LObin »

I just posted this in the other thread discussing the "dead on arrival" issue:

This is Joe Kolbs comment on FB regarding the board issues a few of the early DF64V had:
There were a few units using a pre production control boards that had an issue with the control board safety reset. Not many and all new units and preorders are getting new board. Most of the pre production were the ones sent to reviewers"

In addition, these are his own words about your situation specifically: " yeah that's the problem with buying overseas. Anyone that has had the issue we are taking back and sending another. Maybe df64 coffee will do that im not sure, but alternative is they send a relatively easy to change control board. Tell that hb user I'll send them a board if df64 won't. They can even send to me and I'll switch the board
Get in touch with him 8)
LMWDP #592

Advertisement
Frankie4

#43: Post by Frankie4 »

LObin wrote:This is Joe Kolbs comment on FB regarding the board issues a few of the early DF64V had... Get in touch with him 8)
This is brilliant of Joe to offer this and this is the difference between buying local and buying overseas. The support you are likely to get locally will usually be far greater that the support of an overseas seller. The local distributor/seller wants you as a return customer so they will usually go out of their way to assist. Joe and the team at Espresso Outlet do a magnificent job when it comes to support.

Frankie4

#44: Post by Frankie4 »

Makanmata wrote:I ordered the DF64v when it was announced and it arrived last week, worked for a single shot, then died. According to one US distributer, many units are having problems and the manufacturer is changing production to address the issues. I would stay away from these at least for the time being.
Many units? Really? Can you give the exact comment they made in regards to this issue rather than misleading forum members. I think you will find it was some pre production units had problems that have been addressed in the production run. These units were sent out to reviewers and for field testing. Please, lets keep it real rather than spin fear mongering.

Frankie4

#45: Post by Frankie4 »

Sproyo wrote:Can you share more info on this? I assume the distributor you're referring to is df64coffee.com. I haven't seen anything about known manufacturing problems on any of the popular forums.
Distributor he is referring to is Espresso Outlet and they do a great job in aftersales support. Issue was actually with SOME preproduction samples that were sent out for field testing. Issue was addressed with the production version.

Sproyo

#46: Post by Sproyo replying to Frankie4 »

In the other thread Makanmata said they purchased their unit from df64coffee.com, I'm certain that's the distributor they're referring to.

Joe said in the fb group that some control boards are faulty. He also said the next shipment of df64v are being delayed because they are putting new control boards in them. That suggests to me that it's more than just preproduction units and likely all first batch units have the same control board.

Frankie4

#47: Post by Frankie4 »

Sproyo wrote:In the other thread Makanmata said they purchased their unit from df64coffee.com, I'm certain that's the distributor they're referring to.

Joe said in the fb group that some control boards are faulty. He also said the next shipment of df64v are being delayed because they are putting new control boards in them. That suggests to me that it's more than just preproduction units and likely all first batch units have the same control board.

This is what Joe said:
There were a few units using a pre production control boards that had an issue with the control board safety reset. Not many and all new units and preorders are getting new board. Most of the pre production were the ones sent to reviewers
My issue with Makanmata's post is that he said that many units had the issue. I also wouldn't be certain that the information they are quoting is coming from DF64Coffee.com as he refers to one US distributor so it can't be DF64Coffee.com.

Advertisement
Sproyo

#48: Post by Sproyo »

Why did you leave out the other comment of Joe's I was referring to?

> Waiting for new control boards to get installed. We are shipping directly from the manufacturer so people don't have to wait for container

I think you have the timeline a bit screwy, Makanmata was the first to suggest there were known problems that were changed with the manufacturer. They were a bit confused on the complicated structure of the manufacturer and distributors, but they only mentioned correspondence with df64coffee.com

Joe was shown and asked about Makanmata's post here, and basically corroborated Makanmata's claim.

Frankie4

#49: Post by Frankie4 »

Sproyo wrote:Why did you leave out the other comment of Joe's I was referring to?

> Waiting for new control boards to get installed. We are shipping directly from the manufacturer so people don't have to wait for container

I think you have the timeline a bit screwy, Makanmata was the first to suggest there were known problems that were changed with the manufacturer. They were a bit confused on the complicated structure of the manufacturer and distributors, but they only mentioned correspondence with df64coffee.com

Joe was shown and asked about Makanmata's post here, and basically corroborated Makanmata's claim.
I have not seen the specific post from Joe on FB as I can't find it. I simply quoted from LObin's reply and did not leave anything deliberately out.
#6: Post by LObin » 11 hours ago

I just posted this in the other thread discussing the "dead on arrival" issue:

"There were a few units using a pre production control boards that had an issue with the control board safety reset. Not many and all new units and preorders are getting new board. Most of the pre production were the ones sent to reviewers"

In addition, these are his own words about your situation specifically: " yeah that's the problem with buying overseas. Anyone that has had the issue we are taking back and sending another. Maybe df64 coffee will do that im not sure, but alternative is they send a relatively easy to change control board. Tell that hb user I'll send them a board if df64 won't. They can even send to me and I'll switch the board"

Get in touch with him 8)
Makanmata stated the following:
According to one US distributer, many units are having problems and the manufacturer is changing production to address the issues.
So therefore did not only mention correspondence with DF64coffee.

My point is Makanmata tried to represent it as a wide spread issue when Joe's comments highlights it was not many units that were impacted. The fact that Joe is willing to help Makanmata with his grinder is testament to the level of support he provides and if nothing else should give some reassurance for US buyers that buy from Espresso Outlet. No I have no affiliation with Espresso Outlet I just think sellers that do the right thing for buyer should have their praises sung. People are quick to complain when things go wrong but why are they so slow to compliment when things go right?

Jonk

#50: Post by Jonk »

Frankie4 wrote:No I have no affiliation with Espresso Outlet
In the spirit of disclosure, what is your affiliation with the Australian importer of the DF products?