Turin DF64V Disappointment - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Makanmata (original poster)

#21: Post by Makanmata (original poster) »

DF64 sent a message overnight and said I should now open up the machine and check the wires and should try to "swap out the "board" which they'll send me at some point. Told them I'm not interested in doing investigation or repair work for them or accepting a reconditioned defective machine that clearly has major quality control problems. They told me that I agreed to their terms of service on their site and I'm stuck with their defective machine and that they're under no obligation to provide a working one, and I pointed out to them that such a policy is contrary to the laws in both Singapore (where they are) and New York (where I am) and that the credit card terms of service that they accepted for payment of the defective grinder say otherwise and that the credit card company has already provisionally refunded me and that I don't need their generosity.

They told me that they "empathized with me" and offered me $100 to accept the defective non-working machine and I told them I don't want it and don't need their empathy but that I can't empathize with their position because they built, had an opportunity to test, and shipped the defective machine and are solely responsible for their own lack of quality control and the fault of all of this should properly fall upon them and not upon me, and asked what they wanted me to do with their machine which is taking up space in my home.

If nothing else DF64 has demonstrated that they are an unprofessional organization that does things in an ad hoc way and doesn't have any system in place for quality control nor customer support.

LObin

#22: Post by LObin replying to Makanmata »

I'm confused.
When you write "DF64 has demonstrated", are you referring to Turin, the manufacturer or df64coffee.com the distributor?
*The manufacturer full name has way too many letters for 2 thumbs on a cellphone keyboard so let's call them Turin for the purpose of this discussion.

I thought your machine was shipped directly from the manufacturer to you in NY?

That's what I did with my DF83 and previous DF64. Espresso Outlet never had the machine in their possession even though I purchased through them. Turin built, tested and shipped the unit straight to me.
LMWDP #592

#23: Post by Makanmata (original poster) replying to LObin »

The machine was shipped to me from the manufacturer in Singapore to me in New York. These companies appear to be related subsidiaries of the same parent, which does primary manufacturing of the machines in China, and ships them around the world from it's distribution hub in Singapore. It seems as if they did the burr installation in Singapore as well.

I've had no dealings here with Espresso Outlet. My credit card was charged and the unit was shipped and all communications have been from "D64."

LObin

#24: Post by LObin replying to Makanmata »

I'm still confused. Sorry.
What website did you purchase your DF64V from?

It was my understanding that you purchased from and exchanged emails with df64coffee.com
Is this correct?
LMWDP #592

#25: Post by Makanmata (original poster) replying to LObin »

LObin

#26: Post by LObin replying to Makanmata »

Ok. Thanks for clarifying.

DF64coffee.com is a distributor in Singapore. They buy directly from the manufacturer, Ningbo Frigga Electric Appliance Co. in China.
Just like Espresso Outlet, Miicoffee, homebarista.be, etc.
Your grip is with them then. It would be more accurate to write DF64coffee.com when referring to them otherwise it gets confusing.
Quality control is done in China by the manufacturer. No distributor will unbox and self test each and every espresso machine and grinder before selling or shipping.

This still doesn't justify their poor response. If they're willing to ship abroad, they have to expect some returns, which is obviously more expensive.

I don't know if they're truly expecting you to keep the broken unit or send it back to them since your CC company already issued a refund. If it's the latter, maybe contact the manufacturer directly through Alibaba (or send an email to Joe Kolbs) and see if you can get a new board to either install yourself or sell along with the defective unit and make some money towards your next grinder...?
LMWDP #592

tompoland

#27: Post by tompoland »

This is bad form.

Can you get the charge reversed on your credit card?

A have bought a few machines direct from df64coffee.com. If it's a super cheapo DF64, that's something I'd take the risk on again. But I'll now think twice about buying more expensive grinders from them given that I can't expect more than remote support.

By way of contrast, last month I bought a new Australia/New Zealand version DF83 from a local retailer here in Australia to compare with a DF83 I bought direct from df64coffee.com a month before that. The AU/NZ version comes with DLC burrs, declumper sorted and more. These were all upgrades that the importer, Coffee Tech, arranged to have included in the AU/NZ versions so that people buying local had a compelling reason to choose an Austalian or New Zealand retailer, rather than buy direct from overseas.

The AU/NZ verison was another 60% over and above the DF83 df64coffee.com.

Unfortunately the AU/NZ version I bought locally had an issue with the thread on the base unit which meant that when I screwed on the collar, it felt like there was sand in the thread and it was very hard to adjust at espresso level.

I sent a short video to the retailer (Alternative Brewing) who liased with the importer (Coffee Tech). The latter sent an entire brand new machine along with a shipping label to return the faulty grinder.

I don't even want to think about the hassles I would have had with df64coffee.com if the fault was with their grinder.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, it's a real downer when a piece of new kit arrives and it malfunctions. Almost all of us would agree that these things can happen with the best of manufacturers and that we could live with it and move on, provided the issue is fixed fast and without fuss.
A little obsessed.

Giampiero

#28: Post by Giampiero »

I don't want to be the devil's advocate, but in their "Refund Policy" is well explained what Makanmata is facing.

BKH

#29: Post by BKH »

I've received excellent customer service twice for a DF64 I purchased through Espresso Outlet. This includes free shipping to and from Espresso Outlet. The anecdotes on the Internet suggest that there are quality control issues for Turin grinders from the manufacturer. The chance of issue is baked in the price.

It sucks to get a faulty unit. However, I don't think the issue with DF64coffee.com as a distributor should completely dissuade someone from buying the DF64V as there are upstanding distributors.

Frankie4

#30: Post by Frankie4 »

Makanmata wrote:The machine was shipped to me from the manufacturer in Singapore to me in New York. These companies appear to be related subsidiaries of the same parent, which does primary manufacturing of the machines in China, and ships them around the world from it's distribution hub in Singapore. It seems as if they did the burr installation in Singapore as well.

I've had no dealings here with Espresso Outlet. My credit card was charged and the unit was shipped and all communications have been from "D64."

The distributor of the DF grinders is separate from the manufacturer, and it seems that their inadequate response has affected the reputation of the product. This is why I strongly recommend purchasing from a local distributor, regardless of the product. While buying from overseas might be cheaper, it often means sacrificing the level of support you would receive. If you encounter any issues with your product, the local distributor is more likely to provide the necessary assistance. Perhaps this is why DF64coffee.com can offer a lower price, as they understand their support commitment may be lower compared to a local distributor.