Troubles with Eureka Specialita - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cnm.h (original poster)

#31: Post by cnm.h (original poster) »

tzmon wrote:In any case, I would recommend checking if the burrs look like they should.
I didn't find anything strange, but I'll order new one anyway. Thanks.

K7

#32: Post by K7 »

My 10 months old Specialita grinds single-dosed 14g in ~10 sec at a fine setting @0.2 (true zero somewhere between 5 & 4).

You might want to make sure you have the right burrs. There was a poster who got a set of Brew Pro burrs with this unit by accident and had Eureka to send the correct burrs eventually. In his case, burrs had a "Brew Pro" etching. Recently a couple of other posters in Europe reported relatively slow throughput but not sure what they turned out.

Photo of my burrs when I was doing alignment marker test. Look for the same burr pattern:

DamianWarS

#33: Post by DamianWarS »

cnm.h wrote:Is there Specialita owners? How many turns from true zero do you make?
I've been playing more with my Specialita, I've cleaned it all out and started fresh. My burrs are not seasoned and I've only used about 500gr of coffee in it. burr touch is at the notch before 0 so -0.5. with my DE1 I've been using a fairly forgiving profile with preinfusion caped at 4/mls for 20 seconds or until pressure is >4 bar. the preinfusion would run the whole shot and it wasn't going over 3 bar. so I kept going finer and finer. I'm currently at 0 (or about true 0.5), 18gr took like 25 seconds to grind and the shot finally went through. it stopped preinfusion at 9s as it hit 4 bar and raised pressure and held to 6 bar (it's some sort of gentle profile). total shot time was 25 seconds with 18gr of coffee and 36gr out. I WDT it quite a bit and it improves the puck but I don't have a dosing funnel and I think if I had one I could be more effective with WDT because I'm too worried about spilling. The shot was drinkable but still under-extracted. I don't think I want to go finer as I'm pretty much at its limit so I may dose up a gram and try a normal profile with higher pressure/temps to see how it performs.

cnm.h (original poster)

#34: Post by cnm.h (original poster) »

Today I received my new burrs. I found almost no visually difference between them and my old one except the new burrs is Eureca labeled. But...
This completely solved my problem and also increase grinder performance by more than 2 times. I need only 10 sec to grind 18g of beans.

Thanks everyone. You've been very helpful.

I am little disappointed in Eureca. Not the cheapest grinder with poor quality control. There are also enough problems with Lelit as well...

DamianWarS

#35: Post by DamianWarS replying to cnm.h »

glad to hear it worked out. how are your shots now? and I'm curious to know what is your burr touchpoint and what do you grind it at?

cnm.h (original poster)

#36: Post by cnm.h (original poster) »

DamianWarS wrote:How are your shots now?
I'm still not that experienced yet with new machine, but overall it's not bad.
DamianWarS wrote:What is your burr touchpoint and what do you grind it at?
Burrs touch on ~1 and my range is 3.5 - 4.5.

DamianWarS

#37: Post by DamianWarS »

cnm.h wrote:I'm still not that experienced yet with new machine, but overall it's not bad.

Burrs touch on ~1 and my range is 3.5 - 4.5.
I'm asking because I just got my specialita too and for my own experience burrs touch a -0.5 and I broadly have it dialed in at 0 which I was surprised how fine I had to go. The shots are coming out nice with no challenging and I'm able to get repeatable control over it so I guess I shouldn't be complaining. I just wanted a sense for comparison but every bean is different.

mycatsnameisbernie

#38: Post by mycatsnameisbernie »

DamianWarS wrote:I'm asking because I just got my specialita too and for my own experience burrs touch a ~0.5
My understanding of the Mignon grinders is that the grind dial is assembled in a random position, so it's not valid to compare zero points between grinders. My zero point is at around -2 (4).

DamianWarS

#39: Post by DamianWarS replying to mycatsnameisbernie »

I'm trying to compare the relative grind dial based on the burr touch. so for me burr touch is at -0.5. I grind at 0 which is 0.5 away from burr touch. as a mignon user, what do you grind at relative to the burr touch point?

tzmon

#40: Post by tzmon replying to DamianWarS »

Around 0.5-0.75 from the touch point is what I'm currently using for a pretty light roast (with the Robot, dosing 18 grams). It takes around 15 sec to grind it with the hopper containing under 100g of coffee. I recently needed to go to nearly the touching point with a really light roast that was already around a month old.