Troubles with Eureka Specialita - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Giampiero

#21: Post by Giampiero »

cnm.h wrote:The time is slightly reduced, but it's not much to get 13-14 seconds.

Is there Specialita owners? How many turns from true zero do you make?
My Specialita' is "temporarily out of service"...waiting new burr set.
If i remember well from the burrs touching point, i turn to GROSSO/COARSE only 2.5 marks, but i always use dark roasted beans.

cnm.h (original poster)

#22: Post by cnm.h (original poster) »

Giampiero wrote:My Specialita' is "temporarily out of service"...waiting new burr set.
Do you remember the grinding time?

Advertisement
Giampiero

#23: Post by Giampiero replying to cnm.h »

For about 15gr of ground, 11,5 seconds, for about 9gr of ground 6,2 seconds, but this is my situation.

zfeldman

#24: Post by zfeldman »

cnm.h wrote: I use a paperclip.
I've never found paperclip or other tools that large to be much help for evening distribution for channeling issues. Breaking up nasty clumps, yes, but I doubt the Specialita clups badly.
cnm.h wrote: This is not like the usual channels. I guess the water is pushes the tablet up and passes under it, or something like that.
How can you tell it isn't usual channeling? I can easily pull shots that look like that on my Atom if I grind too fine and especially if I grind too fine and have slightly off puck prep [I don't usually WDT with an acupuncture needle, but I dose into a catch cup instead].

vickeryj

#25: Post by vickeryj »

cnm.h wrote:
Is there Specialita owners? How many turns from true zero do you make?
I get very different numbers from different beans. Currently I'm set to 1.5 (burrs touch at -0.5) and I get 16g in 7.8s.

I've noticed that my grinder seems to grind faster than other people's, which is interesting.

cnm.h (original poster)

#26: Post by cnm.h (original poster) »

zfeldman wrote:How can you tell it isn't usual channeling?
I'm not sure about that. When I get high pressure channels I can cleary see them on the puck. When I try paper filter there wasn't a single hole in the puck, but still...
Giampiero wrote:For about 15gr of ground, 11,5 seconds, for about 9gr of ground 6,2 seconds, but this is my situation.
vickeryj wrote:Currently I'm set to 1.5 (burrs touch at -0.5) and I get 16g in 7.8s.
Thank you for this information. This is an interesting difference.

tzmon

#27: Post by tzmon »

Check out this thread on Coffee Forums UK https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/58298- ... e-worried/

I had bad burrs on my Specialita. They looked incorrectly cut and the upper and lower burr did not look alike. This made grinding slower, but I was still able to build up lots of pressure and even choke a Cafelat Robot.

In any case, I would recommend checking if the burrs look like they should.

Advertisement
DamianWarS

#28: Post by DamianWarS »

vickeryj wrote:I get very different numbers from different beans. Currently I'm set to 1.5 (burrs touch at -0.5) and I get 16g in 7.8s.

I've noticed that my grinder seems to grind faster than other people's, which is interesting.
Is it new? Maybe the burrs just need to be seasoned. Also single dosing will grind slower vs a more filled hopper. I've been single dosing with mine and I've been too lazy to dial in the timmer.

vickeryj

#29: Post by vickeryj »

It is new, about 2kg of coffee ground. And yes, I'm filling the hopper, but even on the last bit in a bag the timing is consistent, almost always within 0.2g, and often spot on.

DamianWarS

#30: Post by DamianWarS replying to vickeryj »

I just got mine myself and the burrs are still unseasoned. usually takes 5-10kg to season the burrs where the burrs set in at a consistent performance they will run for most of their life. It's possible you haven't reached that yet and the burrs are too sharp. I am still doing some checks with mine and not really pulling shots on it yet as I got this grinder for a project I'm working on. burr touch is -0.5 (pretty much the mark just below zero). at 0.5 (or true 1) it took 25 seconds to grind 18 grams. it's old coffee however so I need to get some fresh stuff and see how it differs. at 1.5 (or true 2) it took 24 seconds to do 19 grams. it's espresso grind by touch but as I said it's old coffee and it runs too fast pulling a shot. Different roast levels and densities of coffee will grind at different rates too as well as age so it's hard to say at x time and x dial you should get x grams. you can buy some grocery store coffee (aka cheap coffee) to help season the burrs but also help to compare the grind time with different roasts levels. I need to roast some coffee before I can really tell you how it pulls shots.