Torr Toys DLC Burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Neto

#1: Post by Neto »

Has anyone had good experience with these burrs from torr toys? They seem to be at a good price point, but i haven't really heard anything specific from users in here, only from ssp. I know (from experience) that Torr Toys makes quality tools so i might give it a try. This would be for my mazzer jolly electronic.

megamixman

#2: Post by megamixman »

No clue about the Torr Toys, but I haven't seen anyone else advertise DLC.

Burr coatings are not something I've seen people in the coffee community focus on, so I'm intrigued by these. Almost all the coatings I've seen: TiN, TiAlN, AlTiN, and TiC were all developed for industrial environments. A lot need higher temperatures than what our grinders experience to be fully utilized. Some such as TiAlN (RedSpeed) actually technically don't heal unless they are in high-temperature environments: ~ 500C or higher.
There's nothing that is going to beat the hardness of TiN-class coatings: TiAlN, AlTiN, etc. Diamond in principle is harder, but it's almost impossible to get anywhere near single crystal hardness as a coating.

What DLC offers is much lower friction, usually somewhere between 1/2 to 1/10 that of TiN, which means that as grinds pass between the burrs they heat up less. I don't know how much of the overall heat comes from this, but it could make a difference for continuous use, or in the flavor. DLC might actually be better suited for espresso grinder use than cutting tool coatings that get heavily used, so just from a taste standpoint, I'd be interested in seeing how these fare.

Edit: Nevermind, forgot about the Silver Knight coating. That is Semi-DLC, but is "advertised" as more suited for filter coffee than espresso. These are about 1/2 the cost of a Silver Knight burr set from Nordic Coffee tool, but I don't find an overlap in the burr sizes.

jpboyt

#3: Post by jpboyt »

And all the burrs that I had DLC (diamond like carbon) coatings blew off the coating in a very short time. I was looking for a coating substitute for all the PVD coatings so that my case hardened burrs wouldn't be annealed by the coating process. I also tried a bunch of electroless nickel coatings with diamonds and with PTFE. Cost to coat put the nod to a tool steel burr. Nothing works but the ceramic family of PVD coatings that are applied at an elevated temperature. This requires a good through hardened steel to allow coating without annealing the burr in the process. Spent a bunch of time looking for short cuts to a long life burr but never found one. Nice advert though.
jpboyt

Joempek

#4: Post by Joempek »

I don't know about their burrs specifically, but i wouldn't get anything from them. Generally the worst experience i ever had with an online vendor, very irresponsible

Neto (original poster)

#5: Post by Neto (original poster) »

jpboyt wrote:And all the burrs that I had DLC (diamond like carbon) coatings blew off the coating in a very short time. I was looking for a coating substitute for all the PVD coatings so that my case hardened burrs wouldn't be annealed by the coating process. I also tried a bunch of electroless nickel coatings with diamonds and with PTFE. Cost to coat put the nod to a tool steel burr. Nothing works but the ceramic family of PVD coatings that are applied at an elevated temperature. This requires a good through hardened steel to allow coating without annealing the burr in the process. Spent a bunch of time looking for short cuts to a long life burr but never found one. Nice advert though.
jpboyt
that's interesting, i have ordered from them three times (2 tampers & portafilter) and never had a problem. Actually there was a defect on one tamper's handle and they shipper another handle quickly... Was your issue recently?

belegnole

#6: Post by belegnole »

Joempek wrote:I don't know about their burrs specifically, but i wouldn't get anything from them. Generally the worst experience i ever had with an online vendor, very irresponsible
It took six months to get a tamper, and when it arrived it was damaged and had the wrong handle. Supposedly I will be getting the correct handle, but nothing was said about the damage. We'll see about the handle as it's already been a month since I was promised the new one.
LMWDP #641

trumz

#7: Post by trumz »

I've had a bad experience with Torr in the past aswell and wouldn't buy from them again.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by emradguy »

I bought their 83mm Flat burrs for my Major about 2 years ago. Their customer service was very good then. We exchanged a couple of emails about the Major hopper collar, which I was considering, and they were very responsive. The burrs order was efficient, and not at all "memorable".

The grind quality was only slightly above the OEM burrs. To me, the biggest effect was they ground a little faster, not a lot, and the taste in the cup wasn't affected much at all. I would say, it wasn't really worth it. That said, I'm not 100% sure the ones I got were DLC. While I still have the packaging, I won't be able to check it for another week. Now, the SSP Red Speed burrs are significantly better in the cup than the Mazzer OEM burrs and the Torr Toys set. They're also faster and, unfortunately, louder...but if you've got the money for them, they're definitely worth it.
LMWDP #748

Joempek

#9: Post by Joempek »

I ordered a tamper back in November. They didn't had the specific handle i wanted so they sent me another one instead, which was not even the size i ordered, and the washer i ordered was also missing. They said they would send the correct handle when they had it available. They almost never respond to emails and when they do i feel like they are just jerking me around. Supposedly they would have the handle available back in February, then they told me by the end of May. It's July and I am still waiting

goldilox

#10: Post by goldilox »

Just for the record I have twice ordered parts from Torrtoys that I could not find elsewhere. Their price including freight to NZ was very reasonable and delivery time was better than expected.