Top 5 Grinders for Light Roast Espresso Application - Page 16

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Quester

#151: Post by Quester »

culturesub wrote:IMHO the only American roaster that really does a Nordic roast is Sey Coffee, and they are every bit as good or better then any Nordic. I've tried them all from April to Tim, Drop to Coffee Collective. Sey Coffee is every bit as good.
Interesting. I'm wondering if you like it even lighter than I do.

The espresso I'm getting at my favorite places in Denver is lighter than what I've had in Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland. Tim Wendelboe, Coffee Collective, Johan & Nyström and others was a bit darker than my preference. Maybe I'm going to the wrong places.

Sounds like I have more to discover when it comes to Nordic shops that are extracting light roasts for espresso.

sleedy9

#152: Post by sleedy9 »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a roaster in the US that they feel represents a "nordic" roast level and does a good job?

culturesub

#153: Post by culturesub replying to sleedy9 »

As i said above, only Sey Coffee and maybe some Passenger roasts in the true Nordic style, at least super consistently. Sey is easily the best for me.

johnny4lsu

#154: Post by johnny4lsu replying to culturesub »

pretty hard to beat Passenger. Never tried Sey. How do you compare them to Passenger?

max

#155: Post by max »

Quester wrote:The espresso I'm getting at my favorite places in Denver is lighter than what I've had in Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland. Tim Wendelboe, Coffee Collective, Johan & Nyström and others was a bit darker than my preference. Maybe I'm going to the wrong places.
I have never seen anything particularly light from Johan & Nyström, and their blends are dark as beans from the supermarket.

Where do you buy in Denver?

Quester

#156: Post by Quester replying to max »

One of the great ones right now is Little Owl.

Three others: Sweet Bloom, Commonweath, Middle State.

Aguirre (original poster)

#157: Post by Aguirre (original poster) »

...and let the games begin

Denis

#158: Post by Denis »

Guess you got the traditional burr set, looks good.

One tip if you don't mind, set grinder to max speed, drop dose of beans slow (18g-20g in 15 sec). Pull 60 sec+, try without bloom, 30 sec PI/30 sec brew.

Please come back with a feedback after few shots (a raw after first use feedback, not a review).

[creative nickname]

#159: Post by [creative nickname] »

FWIW I did taste tests when mine first arrived (using original burrs) and found that I generally preferred the results with a low grinding speed, across a wide range of flow rates and roast levels. I also don't see any benefit to "trickling" in the beans; I just pour mine in the funnel and get it going. Trickling seems likely to increase retention above the burrs which is this grinder's one weak point.
LMWDP #435

Caviar

#160: Post by Caviar »

Aguirre wrote:<image>
...and let the games begin
Beautiful! My pic of this set up won't be possible for a few more weeks (recently purchased a GS3 MP). My EG-1 will be here tomorrow though!