Titus Roller mill - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Capuchin Monk

#21: Post by Capuchin Monk »

At least with the rollers, you don't have to worry about the blade getting dull with use. :idea:

rmongiovi

#22: Post by rmongiovi »

You'd need a variable sized sifter so that you could target the desired particle size. Ignoring the fact that sifting small particles isn't as simple as "just sift it" seems to imply, it would pretty much be the equivalent of using a stepped grinder. You still can't say a lot about the results because you can't adequately adjust the particle size. It's still an apples to oranges comparison.

Jonk

#23: Post by Jonk »

My post was about apples and then you claim to talk about oranges :lol:..
Anyway, there will always be some amount of fines present. I've been enjoying the SSP cast recently and my guess is that the flavor has something to do with the obvious increase in fines compared to unimodal v1. The most interesting thing with roller mills is that the distribution can be tweaked and adjusted, in my opinion.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by Pressino »

Capuchin Monk wrote:At least with the rollers, you don't have to worry about the blade getting dull with use. :idea:
Maybe not if the rollers were smooth, like those of metalworkers' mills, which would simply crush but not grind coffee. Aren't the rollers in these coffee "mills" grooved with cutting surfaces? These, with heavy use over time, will become dulled.

ira
Team HB

#25: Post by ira »

The roller mills I've seen on display tended to be about the size of my car with each roller having individually adjustable spacing. Looking at the Titus video, it looks like there will only be one adjustment for all 3, so the ability to adjust for different particle size distributions might be limited or not there. Also, the rollers in the Titus video look nothing like the rollers on the commercial grinders I've seen. They were more of a sine wave surface with no sharp edges and no feeding towards the center, just perfectly straight. Maybe being 6 feet long makes the coffee running off the edges less of a problem. They were also 12" or 18" in diameter so a bit different scale. This is not a comment on how this grinder will work as I'm as excited as anyone that it's being done, but given how different it looks from the traditional roller mills I've seen, I wonder how similar it will be in it's results.

And trying to interest the people who make giant ones in making a small one always led to lectures on why it's not reasonable.

Ben Z.

#26: Post by Ben Z. »

Why use 1 motor when you can use 2!?!

ira
Team HB

#27: Post by ira »

Because you have them in stock and one isn't powerful enough, because it looks cool or maybe so you can run different rollers at different speeds.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#28: Post by baldheadracing »

Pressino wrote:Maybe not if the rollers were smooth, like those of metalworkers' mills, which would simply crush but not grind coffee. Aren't the rollers in these coffee "mills" grooved with cutting surfaces? These, with heavy use over time, will become dulled.
You can see images of cutters on a roller surface at the web page of the (I believe) current smallest roller mill for coffee, the Neuhaus Neotec LWM-100 lab grinder: https://www.neuhaus-neotec.com/en/coffe ... inder-lwm/
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Capuchin Monk

#29: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Pressino wrote:Aren't the rollers in these coffee "mills" grooved with cutting surfaces?
I think those grooves are for grabbing the beans to force them in so that they don't "dance around" at the top. :?:

Capuchin Monk

#30: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Ben Z. wrote:Why use 1 motor when you can use 2!?!
I can picture the next model, "with 4 motors" at much higher price. Then the reviewers will rave about how powerful the coffee tastes... :mrgreen: