Dialing in Shots on a Titus Grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sarends

#1: Post by sarends »

Just in time for the weekend! Per recommendation from nickw I ordered some 49th Parallel espresso fresh from Canada! This is the darkest bean I have ever used for espresso - it is their Old School Espresso - my 1st shot was very very good! Very rich and chocolatey. I set the Titus coarser than I have yet (80) and it pulled in 23.6 seconds with a 12 second PI, 18g in and 36g out.

I am very enthused with this espresso! I can already hardly wait until morning!!

peacecup

#2: Post by peacecup »

Welcome to the world of great-tasting espresso. I find I like my beans distinctly more on the roasted side. Even with a humble small-burr hand grinder well-roasted beans make a passable little beverage.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Advertisement
wkmok1

#3: Post by wkmok1 »

The iridescence effect on the grinder is stunning.
Winston

nickw

#4: Post by nickw »

I hope you enjoy Steve!
Now's the fun part. Getting to enjoy coffee's from all around the world :)

In terms of roast level, technically the new 49th coffee's are in the medium range (city+, city++). Their roasts to a similar final temp as before, but it's done over a slightly longer time. It helps mute acidity, while avoiding some of the flavour of a darker roast. Works better for the average person. Less of the "3rd wave" orange juice many people don't like. It's sort of trying to split the difference between previous roasts and traditional darker ones in the Full city range.

With something like the Titus (or the EK43), you could try extracting slightly less (18in - 34out), or updosing slightly (19in - 36g), help make a bit more of a chocolate bomb with the old school.

Cheers!

sarends (original poster)

#5: Post by sarends (original poster) replying to nickw »

Nick, I've been dosing (as always), 18g in and 36g out, and the "Old School" has certainly been great! Tomorrow I will try 18g in and 34g out and will report back!

#6: Post by sarends (original poster) »

Winston, I wish you could see it in person - the color is incredibly rich and deep - it is really indescribable. Here is another photo.

wkmok1 wrote:The iridescence effect on the grinder is stunning.

weebit_nutty

#7: Post by weebit_nutty »

Amazing what you can do with a blow torch!. Looks just like the exhaust tip on my car
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Advertisement
desmodici

#8: Post by desmodici »

Truly beautiful grinder.... I value the few things left in the world that are made with care and passion

#9: Post by sarends (original poster) »

Nick,

I preferred up dosing, 19 in and 36 out to:

18 in 36 out
18 in 34 out

I adjusted 2 degrees finer and it pulled in 26 seconds with a 12 second PI.

I found it the smoothest all the while being even more intensely chocolatey. The chocolate taste was close to dark, but with no objectionable bitterness.

Love it.

sarends wrote:Nick, I've been dosing (as always), 18g in and 36g out, and the "Old School" has certainly been great! Tomorrow I will try 18g in and 34g out and will report back!

#10: Post by sarends (original poster) »

As most of you know, a better grinder is able to get more out of excellent coffee beans!

Since the Titus has entered my life lighter roasts have been given an entire new life! My previous grinder did an OK job with medium to medium/dark roasts. However, I had an increasing difficult time getting light roasts to taste good, as espresso.

Enter the Titus!

I am having a rip snorting (yes, that is actually how I feel!) blast tasting some of these beautifully delicious lighter roasted filter coffees, but made as espresso!

The Titus is not only WAAAAAAAY more forgiving than my prior grinder, but it simply extracts out more taste, which I particularly notice with lighter roasts!

Party on!