Tiny motors on new grinders?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Miguchi

#1: Post by Miguchi »

Why do people pay for machines like the eg1 or monolith grinders when they have such tiny motors? As an engineer, I don't see why these machines cost so much compared to a Ditting lab grinder which have superior components for less. Are people fine with overpaying for design?

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

I haven't seen complaints about these grinders being underpowered. Have you?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
megamixman

#3: Post by megamixman »

Lab Sweet - 650W
EG-1 - 770W
Monolith Max - Peak 2000W

How are you coming to the conclusion that these grinders are underpowered?

Prodigy

#4: Post by Prodigy »

This should get interesting quick...

blumes

#5: Post by blumes »

brushless motor vs induction motor

happycat

#6: Post by happycat »

Miguchi wrote:Why do people pay for machines like the eg1 or monolith grinders when they have such tiny motors? As an engineer, I don't see why these machines cost so much compared to a Ditting lab grinder which have superior components for less. Are people fine with overpaying for design?
I'm guessing you're not married.
LMWDP #603
★ Helpful

Jake_G
Team HB

#7: Post by Jake_G »

megamixman wrote:Lab Sweet - 650W
EG-1 - 770W
Monolith Max - Peak 2000W

How are you coming to the conclusion that these grinders are underpowered?
Monolith max has a 200W motor.

Nothing wrong with that when it has a 10:1 reduction gearbox attached.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
malling

#8: Post by malling »

Have you ever heard of anyone having issues with the motor in those grinders? I haven't.

Miguchi (original poster)

#9: Post by Miguchi (original poster) »

Lol not married and don't battle for counter space if that's what that comment is about, but does that mean that intellectually the decision is purely made by design and having prettier things on the counter? I guess the nature of the question comes down to cost. Brushless motors are hella more expensive but don't necessarily present a better solution to dc motors. Grinders are an incredibly simple mechanism and it's hard to justify why grinders are in these price ranges. Functionally, machines like Dittings or even bunzillas give you amazing performance and they're wildly minimal. It's just burrs, some type of auger/way to guide beans in the chamber, a mechanism for adjusting the distance of burrs, and a motor. Using brushless motors with gearboxes isn't necessarily more efficient or better performing. If the answer is design, then that's cool too, just wondering if that is what drives people to buy these machines.

For context, I'm in the market for a grinder and been obsessing over the specs and what they produce. The Ditting lab sweet is the only machine I've seen where price makes a tangible difference, both in taste and performance (tasted pour overs from most machines by now). I haven't read negative reviews over Ditting machines but recently pretty negative reviews on kaffetek and levercraft machines. I'm just wondering why people pay the amount they do or what is the deciding factor

Jeff
Team HB

#10: Post by Jeff »

Alignment, rigidity, ease of adjustment, repeatability on making small adjustments and returning to previous settings, ability to adopt improved burr technologies, "zero" retention, smooth single-dose operation.