Time to upgrade from Baratza Encore?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Sid Duffman

#1: Post by Sid Duffman »

Hi all,
TL;DR I'm new to espresso, my grinder lacks fine adjustment of grind size. Would you upgrade now, or wait awhile to see how things go?

I have been a coffee enthusiast for the last few years, but was only doing pour over, Aeropress, and French press, never espresso. I got an espresso machine for Christmas (Breville Bambino Plus) and have been really digging it. But I'm afraid my Baratza Encore grinder is not up to the task. I opened it up and re-adjusted the calibration towards finer, but I think the grind size steps are just too granular. At setting 9, it is usually too fine, and 10 is too coarse; I'm basing that assessment on taste, flow rate, and extraction time. I can compensate a bit by changing the dose and tamp pressure, but that seems to only go so far.

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a higher end grinder and I'm very intrigued by all the positive feedback on the Niche Zero. Ceado e5p is another I am considering.

However, because I'm so new to espresso, I wonder if it would be smarter to keep using the equipment that I have. I know from other obsessive hobbies (mountain biking) that early on, there is a steep learning curve, and wants/needs quickly change. I don't want to shell out that much money, only to find myself wanting something else soon after. Any advice from the more experienced would be greatly appreciated!

If it's relevant
-medium to dark roasted beans. Some fancy stuff, some cheap blends like Maromas Orphea.
-about 50% milk based drinks, 40% americanos, 10% espresso
-will also continue to do brewed coffee

dilin

#2: Post by dilin »

Change out your Encore Burr for the Preciso for brew.

Get a used Mazzer SJ / NS 64mm doser, swap the burrs, and learn.to single dose.

Not the best setup, but performance to cost ratio is very high ie bang for buck.

luvmy40

#3: Post by luvmy40 »

I'm using the Breville SmartGrinder Pro and the BDB right now with better than expected results. On the advice of Peter and after reading the several threads about the Baratza Vario/Forte alignment and upgrades, I will be getting a factory refurbished Vario and the Forte parts upgrades ASAP.