Thought on single dosing Mazzer Robur E after a few months

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by samuellaw178 »

The past consensus on the forum regarding Robur E was it's not suited for single dosing operation. Vberch (Vlad) has been using one for single dosing and found it suitable. Based on his recommendation, I have been using one for almost 6 months now and would like to offer some thoughts.

Today I decided to clean the Robur and measure the retention. The last clean up was 3 months ago and I've been using the Robur 3x at the minimum daily since.

How it looks underneath immediately after removing the collar:

Close up:

Cleaned and collect everything in a wide ceramic cup:

As shown in the photo, the retention is so minimal that the Brewista couldn't register it. I had to measure it separately and it came up to 0.5g. That's including the baked-on coffee on the burrs surface. Almost negligible considering I sometimes lose more than that on other grinders.

Here're a few points:

Greatness:
i) Fast - quite fast for single dosing (even faster using a hopper but let's not go there)
ii) Quiet - it produces a slightly different/lower pitch than K30. Based on my wife's feedback, the Robur is even quieter than K30 - the K30 woke her but the Robur didn't. Compared to other grinders I have used in the past, this is hands down one of the quietest electric grinder (secondary only to Rosco Mini which is a hand grinder).
iii) No retention - with a spray or two (RDT), retention is almost zero and minimal fuss.
iv) Consistent - initially I had problem with consistency/adjustment but found out later that the blind shaking technique was messing up my consistency. The Robur's been performing predictably and consistently after I eliminate the shaking technique.
v) Grind consistency, refractometer measurement, taste etc - I can't tell apart easily from the Pharos so it is good enough for me.

Compared to Compak K10:
i) No doser twacking (so happy to ditch that)
ii) More efficient at clearing the throat - no need to to pulse and brush multiple times (once is enough)
iii) Way quieter and built much better too. Robur is just heck of a super-built tank, even compared to the K10.

Compared to HG-1:
i) Way quieter - yes, since my coffee corner is right outside my bedroom - the HG-1 was a nightmare to my spouse
ii) No hand grinding - hand grinding can be super tough with light roasted beans and the big burrs
iii) Less footprint - Robur is huge by common standard, but requires less footprint than the HG-1. Really.

Against :
i) Since there's almost no back-mixing of the grind, WDT is a compulsory for VST baskets and in general to get good even pours. Grinding into a secondary vessel is what I'd recommend.

As a bonus, I did a retention check after the full-clean up (in a sparkling clean state). To summarize, there was only 0.2g max retention even when the grinder is in a 'brand new' state. It is so far the best single dosing grinder I've used. As flat burrs (Malhkonigs, Mythos et al) are becoming the rage now, sometimes you could find one ex-cafe for cheap ('cheap' is relative of course! and the usual caveats apply - spare a new burrs set at the minimum). :D

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Great write up on using the Robur, next time a used one crosses my path I'm going to grab it. Always wanted to try one.
LMWDP #371

aecletec

#3: Post by aecletec »

I don't have an E but my experiences are similar. Less retention than my super caimano.

vberch

#4: Post by vberch »

Great report, Sam!

I use mine the same way except I rotate the lid 180* which serves as an anti-popcorning lid and also opens the chute for cleaning. It makes it much easier since you don't have to move the lid out of the way to clean the chute.

puffinjk

#5: Post by puffinjk »

Yep, would not trade my kony E for anything,I keep a cork in the funnel spout when not in use. JK

CoffeeBar

#6: Post by CoffeeBar »

Just found this thread, As always Nice write up and Thank you Sam :D

samuellaw178 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by samuellaw178 (original poster) »

Thank you Wong. I am in a grindersss dilemma now. :? :lol: Can't decide if I should keep the Robur or K30. The K30 wastes more beans, but it is more convenient. Would work great if I am buying/drinking cheap 1kg beans. But it is a useless paperweight if I am home-roasting or am using premium beans (I would hate to waste them). The Robur is great and works perfectly for single dosing, but more work than the K30... I do have the Pharos with titan conical burrs, which is even more work than the Robur but is portable (that's why I am not selling it). I tend to use the Robur more often if I am single dosing...

sprint jinx

#8: Post by sprint jinx »

Great review, I enjoyed seeing what your process looks like. I have only a few things to add, I hope these help.
I would advocate for the use of a throat funnel, along with a plunger that pushes gently down on the unground dose, above the burrs. I have designed and printed 2 sets so far, one for a SJ and another for a Major. They work a treat for speeding up the feed into the burrs; eliminate popping action; quiet the noise echoing from the throat, and, as a bonus, the fit is tight enough that by lifting the plunger and dropping it, a slight column of air is pushed down through the burrs, forcing the last of the dust to thrust out of the chute.
Next- I found that lifting the back end of the grinder up by 2 inches helped the grinds fall out of the chute. I wrapped dense foam around a wood block and placed the rear feet onto that. This also reduces vibrations into the work surface by a significant amount. I am not sure of the physics of what is happening at the burrs as a result, but this tweak keeps buildup in the chute to a minimum. I also carved out and polished the chute with a dremel, as there is plenty of meat in the casting.

I do agree that the Mazzers retain very little coffee, even after months of use. They make great home use machines, despite their size. I am all for single dosing them, with funnels at each end.

thanks-

thepilgrimsdream

#9: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

samuellaw178 wrote:Thank you Wong. I am in a grindersss dilemma now. :? :lol: Can't decide if I should keep the Robur or K30. The K30 wastes more beans, but it is more convenient. Would work great if I am buying/drinking cheap 1kg beans. But it is a useless paperweight if I am home-roasting or am using premium beans (I would hate to waste them). The Robur is great and works perfectly for single dosing, but more work than the K30... I do have the Pharos with titan conical burrs, which is even more work than the Robur but is portable (that's why I am not selling it). I tend to use the Robur more often if I am single dosing...
I work with a Robur and use the K30 at home.

Completely different taste profiles. I like the Robur for 1:1.4-1:1.8 ratios generally and the K30 excels at 1:1.8 to 1:2.3 for me(SOE).

I'd keep both or sell the K30 and get a peak

samuellaw178 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by samuellaw178 (original poster) replying to thepilgrimsdream »

Agree, they do give a quite different taste profile/approach. The Robur's shots taste more complex (more 3-dimensional and longer finish, but brighter) with a silkier crema; the K30's are smooth and delicate but with a noticeably shorter finish.Can definitely see why some prefer the flat for light/super-light roasts. Both can be quite good which make it hard to decide. Would love to keep both but the wife is *hinting* already. :D There is not enough space here!!