They've done it! Wug2-83A can swap between conical and flat burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LObin

#1: Post by LObin »

Finally a grinder that lets you swap between conical and flat burrs!

No details on price nor availability yet. Hopefully the first reviews will be positive...
wug2grinder wrote:The world first grinder that can swap between conical and flat burrs. Making a burr that suits for all brewing methods is challenging, why not make a grinder that can swap the burr set easily? that's the rationale we have developed 83A, which means it compatible to all 83mm burr, you can brew an espresso with a 83mm conical burr and then swap to 83mm 151F flat burr to make a pour over coffee in less than 10mins. 83A supports Mazzer 187c conical burr and a range of Mazzer 83mm flat burrs (151a, 151b, 151f or 151g) for espresso or pour over or whatever brewing method you like.
LMWDP #592

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

Why? It's not like it's that difficult a problem if you design it that way, but what's the point? It's not like you're going to be changing it between shots.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Ira

Auctor
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Auctor »

While I don't think this particular design tickles my fancy, I mentioned to Denis a few months ago that I would love a grinder that could switch between espresso and brew. Seems kinda wasteful to buy an entirely new grinder (at $3500) just to drink a high quality pour over, which is what a person who wanted both Shuriken espresso and Shuriken brew would have to do.

Now, I literally have no idea what the design and product implications would be for such a grinder, but I could see someone wanting to swap burrs easily.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by JB90068 »

I would rather have two grinders and leave them set up for their individual purpose. The aesthetics of this grinder do nothing for me and would never make it on my counter.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

thoang77

#5: Post by thoang77 »

Well I think it's awesome. Being forced to use 83mm flats, less awesome since there aren't many options (would've preferred 75 or 80) but still a cool feature to have.
ira wrote:Why? It's not like it's that difficult a problem if you design it that way, but what's the point? It's not like you're going to be changing it between shots.
To allow one to experiment with conicals and flats without having two grinders. Perhaps you usually prefer flats but have a coffee that would benefit from a conical.

LObin (original poster)

#6: Post by LObin (original poster) »

ira wrote:Why? It's not like it's that difficult a problem if you design it that way, but what's the point? It's not like you're going to be changing it between shots.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Ira
Don't shoot the messenger ;)

I just reported the news. As far as I know, Wug2 is the first one to design a conical/flat burrs interchangeable grinder.

It may not be as convenient as having both a flat and a conical SD grinder on your coffee bar but the design and savings, both in cost and counter space, may appeal to some.
LMWDP #592

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by JB90068 replying to LObin »

All good points and thanks for posting. What works and appeals to one may not be right for another but having the knowledge of what is out there is good for us all.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Giampiero

#8: Post by Giampiero »

The same body for 2 different burrs configuration, is a smart solution for the manufacturer who only need to produce/stock 1 body to get 2 different grinders, probably will reduce even the delivery time for the final customers.

Randy G.

#9: Post by Randy G. »

Uhh.. serrated jaw pliers to loosen and tighten any hardware on a grinder, particularly one with this quite interesting design seems to have missed a point somewhere along the way. At least you don't need to use a hammer and pry bar :shock: .
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
* 22nd Anniversary 2000-2022 *

LObin (original poster)

#10: Post by LObin (original poster) »

A few more details from their IG story today:

-No pliers needed to change the burr carrier in the final version. No need to lie the grinder down.

-They plan on making a burr carrier that will accommodate Ditting's lab sweet burrs. All 83A style burrs will eventually fit.

- Alignment of the shaft is fixed and within 20 microns. Not affected by burr swap.

- RPM: Flat 250-350
Conical 10-120

- Preorder starts before Christmas. Shipping end of February.

- 1st batch presale price will be below USD $2000 with both sets of burrs.

- Wug2 also plan on releasing a flat burr only grinder.
LMWDP #592